Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
So, just as I was starting to consider heating options for next season (and cringing at the up front cost!), I come across a Hayward H-200 heater for $25! It is about 12 years old, neighbor says he has not turned it on in 3 years since they do not use the pool much anymore (kids grown) but it worked fine last time he did fire it up. I'm sure it needs some work, and I guess it could be dead, but first things first. I need to disconnect it myself.

It is no longer plumbed to the pool, just the gas line. Here is a picture. I checked the manual online but want to make sure I have things right. I assume the pipe to the left of elbow just screws right into the side of the unit, so I just unscrew that remove the elbow and cap what is poking up? He did say that the supply line has been turned off at the source, but I think capping it still makes good sense.

What tool would I use to unscrew the pipe going into the unit? A vice grip? I forgot to peak inside to see if it is actually fitted or just a cylinder. Or do I need to remove the panel to properly access?

Anything else I need to consider?

Attachments

• August 2013 105.JPG
    August 2013 105.JPG
    439.4 KB · Views: 227
Hopefully on the inside of the unit, the gas line has a union. If not, then maybe the nipple going out of the 90 and in to the unit is a left right connector.

You'll need a pipe wrench

pipe-wrench-1.jpg

If there is no union inside the heater to unscrew, then you are left with having to cut the pipe. Many times installers put the pipe in starting from the heater end and don't install a union until the get to the main feed line. So, if in fact there is no union by the heater or inside the unit, you will need to cut the pipe. Triple check to make sure the supply of gas it turned off, then using a reciprocating saw and a blade for metal, cut the pipe by the heater.

Now when you go to install at your pool, make sure to install a union by the heater along with the proper shut off valve.

Open up the heater and look inside where the gas pipe comes in...There should be a union that looks something like this.

It takes two pipe wrenches to dissasemble these. Also, current plumbing codes do not allow for these to be inside the unit anymore. As far as the unit working, if it ran last time it was used it most likely will be fine. It may need a slight tuneup but, for the most part should be fine.

Woha slow down here. First you need to turn off the gas. There should be a valve to shut off the line to the heater. if not you need to shut it off at the service entrance. When you are done you need to cap the end of the pipe and check for leaks. Even if there is a valve you need to cap the abandoned pipe. Best practice is to terminate it at the junction with the rest of the system. Then restart all the other gas appliances. Or call the gas company and have them start them up.

Most service techs would cut the pipe and cap the riser.

If you are not confortable working with gas you should pay someone who is to do it.

gwegan said:
Woha slow down here. First you need to turn off the gas. There should be a valve to shut off the line to the heater. if not you need to shut it off at the service entrance. When you are done you need to cap the end of the pipe and check for leaks. Even if there is a valve you need to cap the abandoned pipe. Best practice is to terminate it at the junction with the rest of the system. Then restart all the other gas appliances. Or call the gas company and have them start them up.

Most service techs would cut the pipe and cap the riser.

If you are not confortable working with gas you should pay someone who is to do it.

He said it WAS turned off at the source.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While disconnecting a gas heater seems like a simple thing, it may be simple... for the correct person. Do you know if the the electrical side of the heater has been addressed?

Since you are considering moving it to your home. I personally would suggest paying a tech to do the move with the money you save by not buying new heater. Yes, it is going to cost a couple hundred dollars but the knowledge they provide could save two homes from being involved in fires.

Good luck. Be safe.
What would happen if the heater was not disconnected correctly? ... or the old circuit is still active?

Some really mixed opinions here, I did not intend this to be so controversial, and I appreciate and understand the warnings. Let me clarify, I am not looking to do gas work. The gas to this line has been off for 3 years. I do not currently have a gas line to connect this to at my house, I will hire a pro to plumb that and hook up the heater next season. I just need to get this thing disconnected and in my posession before my neighbor moves. If it comes to cutting a pipe, I am hiring someone, but that is not the case. Isn't this just a simple disconnect and cap? Recently, I pulled out an old rusty ng grill that the previous owners left behind. I made sure the valve from inside the house was off (it was) disconnected the gas line and capped it. This seems substantially the same to me. Really I am not trying to be argumentative here, just giving the full story. If there is a belief that only a pro should ever touch an ng pipe, regardless of whether or not there is gas running through it... then I guess that is that.

Tech guy - Now THAT is something I had not considered, re the old circuit.

Anyway, here is a pic of the inside, looks like it is just a union to disconnect and cap. Does this seem like something that is only the province of a pro?

Attachments

• IMG_1289.JPG
    IMG_1289.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1289.JPG
    IMG_1289.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1289.JPG
    IMG_1289.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 103
If you cut the horizontal pipe, then you could just unscrew the 90 and put a cap on the vertical pipe.

All in all, that install does not appear to be to code with no local shut-off valve and no union (although maybe the union is not required) and no condensation drip line (although maybe that is not required either).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.