Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Leaking & Hot

Aug 22, 2010
I have a 1.5HP Pentair Whisper Flo 2 speed pump (WFDS-6 product # 011522) that seems to be leaking under the unit. On high speed water level in the filter basket is good, but once it's on low speed the water lever decreases. Water level in the filter tank drops as well whenever it runs on low speed.

Went out this morning after the pump had been on for about 5 hours & there was only an inch or two water in the bottom of the basket, filter tank was empty & no water was being pumped whatsoever. shut off pump immediately. Ran it again this afternoon on high & low for 10 minutes. Though it seemed be moving water adequately, the pump was extremely hot to the touch. The pump is about 4 years old at this point.

Not sure what to do next. My pool equipment expertise is minimal, but i'm handy enough if i had an idea of what needs to be fixed.

Thanks for the help.

Can you post any pictures of the pump and filter showing the leak?

Please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detached).

Here's a pic of the equipment.
[attachment=0:3m1z94zf]IMG_0151_L.jpg[/attachment:3m1z94zf]
the leak is coming from the pump closest to the filter. Immediately after running, water can be heard moving through the pump- some of which is leaking out.

Attachments

• IMG_0151_L.jpg
    IMG_0151_L.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 113
did some more digging today. took pump assembly apart & replaced the "O" ring (called gasket in schematic). no help- leak still present.
[attachment=1:1zv6rx0v]Screen Shot 2013-08-07 at 6.03.42 PM.png[/attachment:1zv6rx0v]

leak seems to be coming from the bottom of the unit where the seal plate connects to the pump. all water drains out as soon as the pump is turned off. Do i need to replace another seal inside the unit?
[attachment=0:1zv6rx0v]Screen Shot 2013-08-07 at 6.17.43 PM.png[/attachment:1zv6rx0v]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-07 at 6.03.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-07 at 6.03.42 PM.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Screen Shot 2013-08-07 at 6.17.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-07 at 6.17.43 PM.png
    370.2 KB · Views: 108
That is likely the ceramic shaft seal that is leaking. It is in the picture but not labeled.

The heat could be developing due to the bearings getting wet and messed up after the leak started.

jblizzle said:
That is likely the ceramic shaft seal that is leaking. It is in the picture but not labeled.

The heat could be developing due to the bearings getting wet and messed up after the leak started.

Any idea how difficult/expensive the ceramic shaft seal is to replace? rubber gasket was a snap- this seems a bit more involved according to Pentair's manual.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had the same exact issue with a leak in the same location, replaced everything but the impeller and the seal plate. I don't think the impeller would contribute to the leak in that location. Has anyone had to replace a seal plate to eliminate a leak or would this be a waste of money? The leak is super slow, but it is leaking nonetheless, which drives this AAA personality crazy. Thanks in advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.