Liquid Bleach and Stablizer

Who is telling you that? You are not understanding what the stabilizer is for. It protects the FC from the sun and also buffers the chlroine so it is not as harsh. You need it regardless of the source of chlorine.

You must add CYA separately because the bleach does not contain any. A SWG need more because it adds the FC so slowly to help protect it better.

The solid forms of chlorine (trichlor and dichlor) add both FC and CYA to the water ... the problem is that the CYA can quickly get to be too high for the amount of FC in the water and algae will take over.

Are you also assuming the CYA is 0ppm? If so, you can lose 50% of the FC to the sun in an hour. So by noon, there would be no FC left in the pool and things can start growing.

If you are actually assuming that you have a CYA in the recommended range 30-50ppm. Then just adding enough bleach once a day to stay above the minimum FC (based on your CYA) by the next time you test and adjust is the recommended approach.

Liquid bleach does NOT have a stabilizer and it is most "active" if left un-stabilized. The challenge is the sun drives off most of the unstabilized FC each day. When stabilized it last longer in the pool as the stabilizer protects it from the sun.

Sot... technically a liquid bleach pool does not NEED to be stabilized but the chlorine will need to be replaced each day by pouring in more chlorine.

An SWG creates chlorine using salt and electricity. It is the same chlorine as in the liquid it just happens to be made in the pool, not at a factory. So, it can be left unstabilized also but then you would need to run the SWG long enough to replace all of the solar losses. For most residential SWG, they cannot create enough chlorine in 24 hours to replace solar losses.

The stabilizer is used to reduce solar loss, in both situations.

Just curious if there is a way to tell just how little one could get way with by adding CYA, everything I have seen on here in the last 7 years says stabilizer is a bad thing, my pool has never had a bloom or even gone cloudy, and I never add CYA or have ever used pucks
Also, if a solar blanket is left on, wouldnt that negate the need for CYA?

Stabilizer, when it is in the recommended range, is a good thing. It reduces the amount of chlorine lost to the sun, and also makes chlorine a lot less harsh. Stabilizer is only bad when it gets above the recommended range.

If you have no CYA you need to keep the FC in the 1-2ppm range or it becomes VERY harsh ... problem is that will be lost to the sun very quickly.

We recommend 20-30ppm of CYA for indoor pools as well. Not for the protection from the sun, but for the buffering of the chlorine ... Using the CYA and FC levels we recommend the "active" chlorine is MUCH less than would be found in an unstabilized pool (like many public pools that are not allowed to use CYA). Thus swimming suits, etc last a LOT longer in our pools than they do in public, unstabilized pools.

pooladdict said:
Just curious if there is a way to tell just how little one could get way with by adding CYA, everything I have seen on here in the last 7 years says stabilizer is a bad thing, my pool has never had a bloom or even gone cloudy, and I never add CYA or have ever used pucks
Also, if a solar blanket is left on, wouldnt that negate the need for CYA?

Please understand, we have not said stabilizer is a bad thing. Only this:

TOO MUCH stabilizer (CYA) is a bad thing.

High CYA means more FC level is needed to do the same job as a lower amount of FC with CYA present in the pool. You can run a pool with no CYA, but there will be a very high demand for chlorine addition much more frequently because the sun (UV rays) destroy the FC. We do not recommend doing so at all. A solar blanket will not negate the need for CYA because some UV will get through depending on your cover, and your pool will be open at some point exposing the FC to the direct sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
techguy said:
Sot... technically a liquid bleach pool does not NEED to be stabilized but the chlorine will need to be replaced each day by pouring in more chlorine.
I'm confused, you're saying that with 0 CYA it's possible to add liquid chlorine once daily and have it last all day..?

I add chlorine daily with 45ppm CYA.

I helped a friend set up her Intex pop up. Got her water balanced and chlorinating nightly with cal-hypo, which for her is 2 teaspoons a night. We forgot stabilizer and in 2 weeks she mentioned a smell. I had her bring up the FC level to 6 and came over the next day at 11 am. We tested and the total chlorine level was already zero. The pool is even shaded for most of the morning! We added enough stabilizer to get to 30 ppm and now she always has some chlorine left in the evening.

Moral of the story is CYA is like oxygen, you get too much your FC needs to be too high, not enough and FC is gonna die. I may have stolen that from a song :wink:

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.

Speedo said:
techguy said:
So... technically a liquid bleach pool does not NEED to be stabilized but the chlorine will need to be replaced each day by pouring in more chlorine.
I'm confused, you're saying that with 0 CYA it's possible to add liquid chlorine once daily and have it last all day..?

I add chlorine daily with 45ppm CYA.

What I meant was if you leave your pool un-stabilized, you will always need to replace all of your chlorine each day. As an example, if your pool is 0CYA and you add enough bleach/chlorine to get to 3FC, about 30 oz 12% in my pool, you will need to add at least this much each day to completely replace the solar loss... and you will likely have periods of zero FC in which algae will likely grow. Realisitically, if you wanted a zero CYA pool outside, you would either need add a bunch each night (a gallon 12% per 10K gallon pool) or you will need to add some during the day to protect.

Short answer... it's not practical.

I have my pool near 40CYA and I need enough chlorine to add 2-4 FC each day.

techguy said:
What I meant was if you leave your pool un-stabilized, you will always need to replace all of your chlorine each day. As an example, if your pool is 0CYA and you add enough bleach/chlorine to get to 3FC, about 30 oz 12% in my pool, you will need to add at least this much each day to completely replace the solar loss... and you will likely have periods of zero FC in which algae will likely grow. Realisitically, if you wanted a zero CYA pool outside, you would either need add a bunch each night (a gallon 12% per 10K gallon pool) or you will need to add some during the day to protect.
With no CYA in the water, half of the FC is lost in one hour during peak noontime sun. After just 4 hours, the 3 ppm FC would drop to around 0.2 ppm so it doesn't even take a full day of sun to lose most of the chlorine and after 6 hours with only 0.05 ppm FC then algae will grow faster than chlorine can kill it so the chlorine would then be lost even more rapidly towards zero and algae will grow, possibly making the water "dull" by the next morning.

So one would probably need to add chlorine twice a day to prevent algae growth. Also, when the chlorine is at 3 ppm FC after adding it, it is far too strong and will oxidize swimsuits, skin and hair more than 30 times faster than the recommended levels when CYA is used. CYA not only protects chlorine from breakdown from the UV in sunlight, but it also moderates chlorine's strength for a more pleasant swimming experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.