Why all the pump up for bleach?

Hawk

Aug 9, 2011
Southern California
I read a ton of threads here about people using bleach. I have yet to find ANY company selling concentrated bleach anywhere close to what I can buy 12.5% chlorine for at my mom and pop chlorine store.

What am I missing? Is it just because many you do not have liquid chlorine available nearby?
Seriously, I've tried to figure it out and can't. :oops:

Glad I have a Target nearby, $2.25 per almost a gallon of 8.25% (for another 3 weeks)... It's all chlorine. Highest % I've found in Texas is 10% at way higher cost. Yes, this belongs in the 2013 bleach thread.

Another thing to keep in mind the higher the chlorine concentration the shorter the half life before it degrades, around here the few places that sell liquid chlorine that is over 10% have likely had it on the shelf long enough where it is no stronger than the often resupplied 8.25% bleach I can get at Wal-Mart. You are in southern California where it seems every other house has a swimming pool and there are probably pool stores on every corner, for curiosity sake I just checked some online real estate listing form my zip code, there are currently just under 200 houses on the market and only 6 are listed as having pools as a feature.

Where I buy 10%, it rings up as "Pool Bleach," but on the box it's labeled Pool Sanitizer. I thought that was cool the first time I noticed.

The answer is; buy the cheapest stuff, it's all sodium hypochlorite. Name doesn't matter, the only importance is that it doesn't have anything else added.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
...and that it doesn't have a lot of dust on top :-D

Speedo said:
The answer is; buy the cheapest stuff, it's all sodium hypochlorite. Name doesn't matter, the only importance is that it doesn't have anything else added.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.