Chlorine Pool

dubele

Jun 17, 2013
Southeast Pennsylvania
With my new pool that is underway, I am fairly certain that I am going to go WITHOUT a SWG. You all have been very helpful, but honestly, I am just not comfortable with it. I hear too many things and being a newby, it shyed me away. Same reason I chose gunite instead of fiberglass. So, I'm going old school. I am going to just have a "chlorine" pool where I add the chlorine myself and not use a salt generator OR mineral system.

Does anybody have any advise on this? I'm really new to this. I suppose it doesn't matter what filter or pump I go with. Is there "anything" I should lean towards with chlorine?

Thanks,
Doug

Well, sounds like you will be doing what a majority of the members here do then. Just understand what all the chemicals will do to your pool ... for example, do NOT exlusively use pucks or powders for chlorine without KNOWING that you are adding calcium or stabilizer. Safest is to test and stick with adding liquid chlorine (bleach) on a daily basis.

BTW, it certainly does matter what pump and filter you are getting. Often builders put in filters that are too small and pumps that are too big.

Post up details of you build, specifically pool volume and current equipment plans, and we can suggest filter sizes. Unless you have some type of water feature, a 1HP 2-speed pump would likely be more than large enough.

It is quite easy and should be no extra charge to have your PB extend the plumbing a foot or so and that would allow you for easy installation of an SWG should you change your mind on down the road. I am not advocating an SWG....just that it can be a painless add-on in the future.

jblizzle,

Are you suggesting to add chlorine (bleach) on a daily basis....like clorox?? If so, how much would I be adding everyday? I think I have read about this here and there.....The idea sounds interesting and makes sense. I believe there are other household items I could add to fully support my pool. I believe this is the BBB method. I think I'd ultimately get there because of the type of person I am....very detailed, a little obsessive LOL!, and I like taking control of a situation. However, for the first or second seasons, I think it will be overwhelming. I think I need to first start off with what the builder recommends so I can get familiar with everything....understand water chemistry....understand my pool...understand the whole concept. After this, I'd want to do the BBB method (if that is what we are talking about) and be in control. I am hoping the BBB method is cheaper than what you get at the pool supply houses

Since you're considering our method (and there's no better one out there), you need to go ahead and get a good test kit if you don't already have one and start practicing with it. Your fill water would be a good place to start.

You should also start reading and absorbing pool school. Especially the ABC's of pool chemistry.

I think you'll be very surprised how easy it is once you get to doing it.

You'll probably use about 2 to 3 ppm FC per day so you'll add enough bleach to make up for that loss. How much that is, depends on how big your pool is going to be. You should start playing with the Pool Calculator now so you'll be used to using it once the pool is finished.

I add chlorine to my pool daily, have nearly everyday since converting to BBB. I used to use pucks and I used to have a green, murky pool. Now it's all chlorine out of a jug and perfectly clear, every day.

Dubele,

This might seem to be odd to you, but from all the knowledge gain on this forum, I would say most pool builders do not know how to maintain pool water. They are more in line with most pool stores which like to teach a method that uses a lot of extra expensive chemicals that are not needed to maintain a trouble free pool. Their chemical approach leads to more issues which leads to more expensive chemicals to fix those problems.

The best investment you can make for your pool is a proper test kit and time reading in Pool School. Let the builder start the pool his way for the first month and then you should take full control from then on. The key to maintaining a pool is knowing what you are putting in the pool and why you are putting it in. This knowledge is in Pool School, but if you have any questions the people on this forum will be more than happy to give you quick answers.

dubele said:
I think I need to first start off with what the builder recommends so I can get familiar with everything.
Most likely what the pool builder recommends will not help you get familiar with everything. The vast majority of stuff a pool store (and by extension the pool builder) will recommend are unnecessary and could have unintended side effects. You could end up fixing these side effects for years to come. Unless you are required to care for your pool a certain way for warranty reasons you should consider starting things off correctly. It is far easier to jump in and potentially make some small mistakes with BBB than trying to go from a pool store philosophy to a BBB one.

I chose NOT to do a SWG for various reasons...but remember you can also add "automation" relatively cheap for adding chlorine (bleach). Liquidator and Stenner are great options...if you have a 2 speed (or variable) then I think Stenner is the clear winner (or other pumps, etc.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.