Pool Closer

Oct 27, 2011
Dallas, texas
I am looking for an affordable pool company to open/close my pool. The company that installed my liner was asking $800! I paid a company like $250 to close a couple of years ago and they were not very professional so want to see if anyone had any recommendations. Thanks!

Last edited:
When we moved into our house almost 2 years ago, the inground pool had not been closed for the winter yet, and we knew nothing about pools, so we paid the company that the previous owners used. $400 and the guys were idiots. My husband watched and swore he would not ever pay to have that done again. It is not as hard as you think. Maybe go to Youtube. I am sure there are videos on how to close your pool. Bascially you need something to blow the lines outs.

I think I understand the process for closing the pool. One thing I dont understand is what to do with the main drain at the bottom of the pool. How do you make sure there is no water in the pipe underneath? How do you protect it? I dont think pool school covers that.

Should be plenty of videos on youtube, does the "visual glossary" in Pool School show a main drain valve?

If you post pictures I'm sure someone will be more than happy to help you out.

I am planning on taking some pictures and putting up so that you all may be able to help me with the main drain. I do have a quick question regarding what happens with the main drain at bottom of pool.

Does this underground pipe get filled with antifreeze as well?
If all you do is blow it out the water, wouldn't the water just eventually creep back in to the main pipe? I have one main drain, but I dont think I have a valve that you just adjust which closes off the pipe where the pipe meets the actual drain at bottom of pool. Your help is greatly appreciated!

When I close my pool I blow out the main drain thru the pump, after the air bubbles show up then I close the valve (while blower is blowing still) which is in my pump house next to the skimmer line valve.. I don't think there is a Valve near the actual drain, but now you've got me wondering how that works lol..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Previous pool owner did nothing. Just sealed up the main drain and left it. No problems. I personally pour a bottle of antifreeze in there after lowering the water level. The weight of the antifreeze pushes the water out.

Remember that water will only freeze for the first few feet from the ground surface. It's called the "frost line". I guess some people like to get all the air out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.