Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confused about amount of bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused about amount of bleach

Okay there is something wrong with my calculations and I cannot figure this out for the life of me. I have been testing very frequently to try to understand my pool trends so I can manage it easier.

Every night at 9:00PM I have been checking it, last night was 3.5pp FC according to Pool Calc I would need 112oz 6% bleach to bring to 8ppm. Add it, test an hour later and it is 6ppm. Hmmm, weird, check pool calc and now add 50oz, check an hour later, up to 8.5ppm, so we are good.

Same exact thing tonight happens with almost identical readings, so it is good that I am getting same readings as far as tracking trends by why is the amount of bleach that I am supposed to add wrong?

Right now:
    FC 8
    CC 0
    pH 7.5
    TA 100
    CYA 35
    12,000 Gallon
    Hayward 2HP Pump
    Solar Panel
    TF-100 Kit
    Built 2004, bought Dec 2007
    BBB All the Way

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Confused about amount of bleach

Quote Originally Posted by nitz369
    Okay there is something wrong with my calculations and I cannot figure this out for the life of me. I have been testing very frequently to try to understand my pool trends so I can manage it easier.

Every night at 9:00PM I have been checking it, last night was 3.5pp FC according to Pool Calc I would need 112oz 6% bleach to bring to 8ppm. Add it, test an hour later and it is 6ppm. Hmmm, weird, check pool calc and now add 50oz, check an hour later, up to 8.5ppm, so we are good.

Same exact thing tonight happens with almost identical readings, so it is good that I am getting same readings as far as tracking trends by why is the amount of bleach that I am supposed to add wrong?

Right now:
    FC 8
    CC 0
    pH 7.5
    TA 100
    CYA 35

1. You have calculated the size of your pool incorrectly.

2. If it's not #1, then you have organics in your water that are consuming the chlorine or...

3. Bleach has lost it's strength
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Just out of curiosity...why such a high amount of chlorine? If your CYA is 35, your target should be between 3-4ppm. Were you having an algae issue? Your shock level for 35 is about 14ppm....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

I am working on bringin the CYA up.

Has anyone ever bought Clorox from Costco? I wonder if it is old or something and maybe lost some of its power.
    12,000 Gallon
    Hayward 2HP Pump
    Solar Panel
    TF-100 Kit
    Built 2004, bought Dec 2007
    BBB All the Way