Don't know what I'm doing. Need help with lack of pressure.

Re: Don't know what I'm doing. Need help with lack of pressu

Sure sounds like it may be something with that multiport. I see some concrete block wall in the pic. Is this setup inside or is it in an area where you can run some water? I would disconnect both of those unions going in and out of the filter. Maybe you could run a backwash hose or some other temp setup back to the pool so you don't loose water. If not it may be worth losing some to do some troubleshooting. Turn on the pump. Is water flowing ok from the pump output union? If so where is it coming from - skimmers, bottom drain or both? If everything is working at this point you have eliminated the whole suction side and pump. Now connect to the multiport. What happens now? Try the multiport in all its positions. If it doesn't work now it's your multiport or filter. If it's still working connect your second union which is your returns. If the problem comes back now you have a problem with your return lines. This will at least get you working on the problem area rather than taking apart possibly good valves and snaking out and pouring stuff possibly good lines.

Mpnret: Pump and filter are in a little cabana, so no problem getting water out there.

Did a quick run through when I got home tonight.
Took the multiport off & it was hooked up to the standpipe. Filter is filled to the top with water. We did not take the multiport apart, since we wouldn't know a problem if we saw it. We lubricated the O-ring, on the multiport again. Also lubed up the O-rings on the both unions.
Set it to recirculate & took out the plug in the waste outlet: Each time the pump surged, water shot out of the waste outlet. No circulation at all in the pool. No suction at skimmers, no air or water from returns, saw no movement at main drain.
Set it to filter: Only difference is a good sized stream of bubbles from the main drain.

Uggg! I give up for tonight. When I get home tomorrow, I will, hopefully, have the Drain King. Got my fingers crossed that it will solve my problem.

I've been using a sump pump for circulating and filtering the water through the skimmer basket with a nylon stocking. Have that skimmer basket sitting on the stairs of the pool, so it gets some aeration, as well. I've been brushing the pool everyday and testing my water everyday too. My numbers aren't horrible. It's not easy dragging the sump pump along the bottom of the pool, but it actually does a pretty good job & the nylon has been filling up with crud.

I went and looked at your cleanup blog and I don't see a main drain anywhere. All I see is the skimmer and a return on the right hand wall looking across the pool at the skimmer. Are there other inlets or outlets?

If the bubbles are coming out the return that's where they should.

There's still something wrong in the multiport valve if water is coming out the waste port when the valve is in filter. Since it's a new valve I'd take it off and return it for a different one.

What happens if you put the valve in waste or backwash?

I understand that you may not be able to, but it would help if you could back off and take a wider pic of the equipment and plumbing. That way we could put everything together.

Bama Rambler said:
There's still something wrong in the multiport valve if water is coming out the waste port when the valve is in filter. Since it's a new valve I'd take it off and return it for a different one.
I am not sure about this and I have never tried it but is it possible if the return line is plugged that a good multiport may send some water out the waste during the surges? I think I would first disconnect the returns at that union just to test.

Good point, I missed that 8psi in the first post. That certainly makes it look like it's not a clogged return. If it were me I would still troubleshoot this problem a little. It's a lot easier than snaking out good lines, pouring solutions into lines, buying drain kings, returning possibly good parts, etc.

I'm at work right now, wont be able to post a picture until late
tonight / tomorrow.

Bama: I don't have a clean up blog. My pool has 2 skimmers on one wall & 2 returns on the opposite wall. The bubbles are coming from the bottom of the pool. I think it's the main drain, but I am not really sure.

This is my first pool, so I am really in unchartered territory.

OMG ~ We have solved the problem! :whoot:

The previous home owner had it all hooked up wrong. :x
This afternoon we ran a hose through the 3 unknown pipes.
(see attached picture)

*The pipe on the far left, just below the gas line, with the rubber stopper is the pipe to the returns.
*The tall PVC pipe that's capped, on the far right is the skimmers.
*The return pipe, that ran from the filter to a middle pipe, is actually the main drain. So that was hooked up completely wrong. Which is
why there were bubbles coming from the main drain. It was hooked up as a return.

We have 2 pipes that we have no idea what they do. One of those pipes was hooked up to the intake for the pump. It was pulling water
but not very much.

After we hooked everything up the right way, the system is now running like a champ. PSI is at 15.

I have no idea why it was all hooked up backwards. But I'm kicking myself for not knowing it would be all f'd up. Just like the rest of this stupid place.

I do want to send out a huge, huge thank you to everyone who posted. Your suggestions & assistance was what kept me determined to get to the bottom of this. This web site is such a wonderful source of information. But it's the individuals, who take time out of their lives, to help complete strangers, that is what makes this site great!

Attachments

• Pool Equip 11.JPG
    Pool Equip 11.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 36

First things first.....It looks like you only have one pipe coming into the equipment. The other lines that are capped off I assume go to the pool. They can either go to returns, or the skimmer (s), or main drain. This is what I would do to determine whats going on so you don't waste anymore time....disconnect the pump from the plumbing and use a shop vac to blow air into the line that enters the pump and watch to see where the bubbles come out. Where ever you see those bubbles that is what is connected still at the pool. To determine if all your returns are connected blow the line coming from your pump with the filter on recirculate. Where you don't see bubbles. those areas are capped off. I am assuming based on what you sad, one of those capped lines is the main drain, and the bubbles coming from the main drain may be just leaking out from a crack in the plumbing somewhere, therefore that could be why its capped. But do the test and see what you're working with....and let us know what you find.

Also some of the issues could be caused by a bad spider gasket in your multiport valve (leaking water out the backwash line).
Also I have a customer with a the same pump as yours and it has the same symptoms you describe, (never filling with water, surging on startup) I think that it's due to it not being exactly the most quality pump, its just the way it operates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Kat -- I'm very glad that you got it figured out. :goodjob:

We may have ask some questions that go you on the right path but you are the one that deserves the kudo's for getting in there and figuring out what was what. Good Job on that!

Thanks Bama, but if it wasn't for TFP my pool would just be a nasty hole in the ground, with 3 feet of slimy mosquito water.

A good friend and pool owner, never thought we'd get the pool up & running this summer. But I figured that TFP was my ace in the whole. I learned how to patch it up & paint it, thanks to a fellow member. Before we even had started the patching, I knew right away I was going the BBB route. I learned how to test my water correctly, here. And now the pump/filter problem is solved.

Honest to goodness, my entire house is under construction, and I've been reduced to tears more than once. But at least I've got my pool running!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.