TA too low

nicpppardo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2013
Hi all!

Hope everyone's summer is going well. I have a quick question. Since I took over the pool about 6 months ago, my CH has been a problem (~1000) and I will take care of it once summer winds down a bit by doing some drains. In the meantime, to help keep that under control as best I can, I have trying to run my pH and TA on the lower side- around 7.2 and 60, respectively. Recently, my pH has been drifting up quickly and I've had to add acid daily to keep it below 7.6 and have it hover around 7.2. Because of that, I've dropped my TA down to 50. I've read on here that having TA too low can also cause pH drift.

My question is... With my calcium hardness issue, is it ok if I just run the TA that low and work on keeping my pH at 7.2 to avoid calcium build up or should I raise the TA because 50 is too low?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you using the Pool Calculator to maintain a CSI at or near zero? I just spent the past year with a CH of 1000+. I kept the TA around 60 and never had to hold a pH quite that low. Generally somewhere around 7.5 seemed to work for me. I also borated the pool to help control the constant upward pH drift.

Note: I just went off to the Pool Calculator and put in the following:
FC 5
TA 50
CH 1000
CYA 70
Salt 3200

With those numbers scale shouldn't be an issue even if your pH rises above 7.8. In fact, pH 7.6 would yield a CSI of zero. So why would you keep it a 7.2?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.