Intex Krystal Clear SWG

Aug 5, 2013
Hi all. I am not new to pools. I had in ground and currently have an above ground round Intex 15' x 48" (4440 gals). I use a Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 12" (SF10110) and a Krystal Clear SWG (CS8110). A few days ago my SWG began showing code 91 (low salt), so I added 30 lbs of salt. A day later code 91 again, so I added 10 lbs more and took a water sample to a pool store. They said everything looked pretty good. My salt and ph were a little high (I added about a pound of acid to lower ph). I cleaned my SWG electrolytic cell including the copper electrode with vinegar. A day later I got the code 91 again. Once more I cleaned the unit making sure everything looked clear. After that I put it all back together turned on the unit and within minutes got the same code 91. Anyone have an idea? Could it be bad after only a year of use?

The pool store test was as follows:

FAC 1 ppm
TAC 1
Salt 3700 ppm
TA 160 ppm
pH 8.2
Acid 4
Copper 0 ppm
Iron 0 ppm
Pho 100 ppb

I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks,
Mike

Welcome to TFP!

Your PH is way too high, and TA is also too high, which is going to cause the PH to go back up over and over again each time you lower it for a while.

Both high PH and high TA levels contribute to calcium scaling, which can cause problems for SWG cell plates. You didn't list your CH level, but unless it is rather low, this is your main problem. When you clean the SWG, do you see any white chalky deposits on the cell plates?

It is possible, though not universal, for the SWG to be worn out after only one year.

You also didn't mention your CYA level. With a SWG, CYA should be around 70 to 80. Also, while there continue to be issues with the SWG you need to add chlorine manually to maintain normal FC levels.

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

Your PH is way too high, and TA is also too high, which is going to cause the PH to go back up over and over again each time you lower it for a while.

Both high PH and high TA levels contribute to calcium scaling, which can cause problems for SWG cell plates. You didn't list your CH level, but unless it is rather low, this is your main problem. When you clean the SWG, do you see any white chalky deposits on the cell plates?

It is possible, though not universal, for the SWG to be worn out after only one year.

You also didn't mention your CYA level. With a SWG, CYA should be around 70 to 80. Also, while there continue to be issues with the SWG you need to add chlorine manually to maintain normal FC levels.

Sorry but they didn't test for CYA. BUT, I disconnected the connector that goes to the electrolytic cell blew out some moisture that was in there plugged it back in and it seems to be working for the moment. I hit the boost button on the SWG and am going to leave it on tonight and check in the morning. Also, I did see a small amount of the white chalky, but the whole thing is as clean as grandmas china now!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.