First Test with K-2006

Sep 8, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hello folks,

We're very excited, after three weeks of construction our pool is ready for use! Our backyard is coming together nicely and the weather is cooperating here in the Toronto Area. The pool company hasn't added anything to the water, with the exception of a chlorine puck in the skimmer about five days ago. I haven't added anything either. They are coming to my home tomorrow to go over the equipment, etc.

I just ran a few tests on our SW pool using my new K-2006 test kit to prepare for my introduction meeting. Here goes:

pH - 7.8
Alkalinity - 100
Calcium Hardness - 130
Salinity - 3,200

My Chlorine test came up clear (following the advice on the Extended Test Kit Direction thread, thanks!). I filled the container to 10ml and dropped in a heaping dipper of of the dpd powder. I'm not certain if I give up on the test and mark chlorine as zero or if I continue to add the powder. I figured I best ask rather than waste the powder.

My SWG has a readout with Chlorine Production 25% (with a small NO FLOW message underneath...).

The pool calculator would suggest that I need 6.3oz of trichlor and 149oz of stablizer (I did't bother running the CYA test, none has been added to date).

Have I passed my first kick at the can with the test kit and calculator? I'd like to be sure I am using the kit properly and interpreting the results accurately before I start dumping products in the pool.

Many thanks,
Kevin

With only 1 puck in the skimmer (not recommende BTW) ... your FC is likely 0ppm.

Looks like the sensor does not have enough flow to turn the SWG on, so it is not generating. Even if it was, since you CYA is 0, the SWG will not be able to generate the FC faster than the sun is destroying it.

Why would it suggest trichlor and stabilizer? You should add enough CYA to target 50-60ppm intially and then be using bleach to maintain the FC until the SWG takes over.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.