Acid Washing

smasty

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2013
Hi Everyone!

I have a 2 yo IG pool with a Diamond Brite finish, which is plaster impregnated with solid pigments (quartz I think). When installed you are given instructions to "scrub scrub scrub" to reveal the quartz pigments. I didn't really know what I was doing and didn't scrub enough. It wasn't until THIS year when my pool became very acidic (due to high levels of CYA) and etching occured, where I saw the true beauty of the diamond brite finish. So now I have some splotches that need acid washed to reveal more of the pigments. Wondering if anyone has done this (or just acid washing in general)? My plan is to do this after winterization. Do a full pump out (only 8000 gallons) and use a spray bottle with a 50% muratic acid solution and just selectively spray and scrub, wash down to a puddle of neutralized water at the bottom. Any thoughts? Eye/skin protection for sure. Thanks!
Sue

Welcome to TFP Sue!

I would at least consult an installer or the plaster council on this. There is much more to a proper acid wash and I am not sure the dilution is 50/50. I am also pretty sure your low pH excursion was from low pH via acid addition, not CYA levels. Your aggregate should have been exposed by acid wash when it was installed as that is what usually happens.

Thanks for your suggestion. The PH was definitely due to out-of-control CYA (the pool store had me adding a pound of tri-clor a day to an 8000 gal pool). It was finding this site that got me back in control of all my numbers. I had to pump 50% of the pool to reduce CYA to acceptable range. Very grateful for this site.

smasty said:
Thanks for your suggestion. The PH was definitely due to out-of-control CYA (the pool store had me adding a pound of tri-clor a day to an 8000 gal pool). It was finding this site that got me back in control of all my numbers. I had to pump 50% of the pool to reduce CYA to acceptable range. Very grateful for this site.

You just gotta love those pool stores.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.