TF kit CYA what am I doing wrong?

my4boys2002 said:
I followed the steps but when I fill the ciliner I can still clearly see the black dot at waist level. It's fresh water 24hrs old. I used the calc to add cya in a knee high.

Is your sample from 1 foot below the surface? Have you tested for CYA before?

Usually that result means 0.

You added the CYA? When? It can take a week to register on tests....the granules dissolve from the knee high but they are still dissolving in the water so you can't see it. You should not clean your filter or backwash for one week while dissolving.

Hope I helped?

I'm having a bit of trouble with my new TF kit as well. The CYA test is off the chart, which maxes out at 100. It's a new pool, so maybe I need to wait a little to get an accurate measurement? The not-seeing-the-black-dot thing is a bit of a pain.

Vandal said:
I'm having a bit of trouble with my new TF kit as well. The CYA test is off the chart, which maxes out at 100. It's a new pool, so maybe I need to wait a little to get an accurate measurement? The not-seeing-the-black-dot thing is a bit of a pain.

Thread hijack in progress.... :wink:

When you say "new pool"....did anyone 'balance' your new pool water "for you", like the pool company?

Are you sure no one put in something called "stabilizer" or "conditioner"....

I thought from your last post we should not have added stabilizer. Thats was all I could find at walmart. Was I suposed to add that? I went by the pool cal when I filled the pool. Everything else looks good.

The PB got the pool up to levels, I assume, and then dumped in the salt and started it up. I haven't been able to get a reading on CYA yet. Is there another kit I get from the store that is more accurate than the black-dot method just to get a second opinion, so to speak?

my4boys2002 said:
I thought from your last post we should not have added stabilizer. Thats was all I could find at walmart. Was I suposed to add that? I went by the pool cal when I filled the pool. Everything else looks good.

CYA is stabilizer. You added it, which you needed, according to the pool calculator, right? So you should be good yes? Otherwise I'm totally confused.... :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Vandal said:
The PB got the pool up to levels, I assume, and then dumped in the salt and started it up. I haven't been able to get a reading on CYA yet. Is there another kit I get from the store that is more accurate than the black-dot method just to get a second opinion, so to speak?

Nah, the home kits are all about the same. You could take it to the pool store and see what result they get?

frustratedpoolmom said:
my4boys2002 said:

CYA is stabilizer. You added it, which you needed, according to the pool calculator, right? So you should be good yes? Otherwise I'm totally confused.... :shock:

Oh I see....no I was answering the other posts about his CYA being off the chart, and I thought maybe the pool company put too much stabilizer in. You should be fine if you followed the dosage according the pool calculator.

Hope this makes sense..... :oops:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Vandal said:

Nah, the home kits are all about the same. You could take it to the pool store and see what result they get?
The disappearing dot test is pretty much standard in home kits and pool store labs. Some pool stores use a colorimeter/turbidimeter to read the cloudiness of the sample but it really isn't that much more accurate.

WHAT IS THE TRICK ?Re: TF kit CYA what am I doing wrong?

So what is the trick to this test? Do you pour slowly till it first disappears, register that point or do you wait till the water settles and see if the dot shows. Watch out for that reflection of your head against the sky - can look just like a dot, make you crazy!!!!!

Re: WHAT IS THE TRICK ?Re: TF kit CYA what am I doing wrong?

tfnyla7713 said:
So what is the trick to this test? Do you pour slowly till it first disappears, register that point or do you wait till the water settles and see if the dot shows. Watch out for that reflection of your head against the sky - can look just like a dot, make you crazy!!!!!
Try this:
put your sample and reagent in the dispensing vial and shake for thirty seconds.
Let it stand for three to five minutes and shake it again for about 20 seconds right before dispensing into the view tube.
Standing outdoors in open shade with the view tube at waist level slowly dispense the mixture into the tube until the black dot is gone. It's really not all that subjective. It just takes a bit of practice. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.