Testing CC

Jul 29, 2013
Summerville, SC
5 days ago I began the SLAM process. All during the SLAM I kept my FC at 20 (CYA is 50). All during this process, CC did not register at all. This morning the water was clear for the first time in days. I figured it was time to try the OCLT. FC was 17. At noon FC was 10 and for the first time since I started the SLAM, I got a CC reading of 1. My question is twofold. At what FC level does CC show up in testing and should I go back to SLAM again since the CC measured 1.

tlcottone said:
5 days ago I began the SLAM process. All during the SLAM I kept my FC at 20 (CYA is 50). All during this process, CC did not register at all. This morning the water was clear for the first time in days. I figured it was time to try the OCLT. FC was 17. At noon FC was 10 and for the first time since I started the SLAM, I got a CC reading of 1. My question is twofold. At what FC level does CC show up in testing and should I go back to SLAM again since the CC measured 1.

I will answer one of the two folds .... YES you need to continue to SLAM .... keep at it until you meet all 3 criteria .... clear water, CC of .5 or less and passing the OCLT.

You mentioned trying the OCLT but don't give results .... you need to measure after dark and then before the sun hits the pool.

CC shows up when it is there. It is constantly being created and oxidized during the slam process. The slam process is not complete until you pass the OCLT with a FC drop of 1ppm or less, your water is clear, and CC is .5 or less. All 3 criteria must be met before you allow the FC to drop below slam level. In order for the OCLT to be valid the sun must be off the pool when the samples are pulled. Dusk and dawn are the best times to pull your test samples.

ship of fools said:
You mentioned trying the OCLT but don't give results .... you need to measure after dark and then before the sun hits the pool.

During the SLAM process my FC never dropped below 15. I constantly kept it at 20 or slightly above. During this time, adding 5 drops of R-0003 never changed the color of water so I assumed that CC was 0. After water was clear this morning, I figured I would do OCLT test tonight after sunset. My 12 noon test showed FC of 10 and for the first time since doing the SLAM, CC registered. It only took 2 drops to clear water but that indicated a CC of 1. Which is why I was curious about at what FC level does CC finally show up in test results. I brought the pool back up to Shock level at 20.

Measuring your CC at noon simply indicated you have CC that the sun is going to drive off after the FC completes the oxidation of it. I think of CC as the kitchen garbage can. the FC going around the pool killing off the algae and other organics and it creates CC (garbage in a trash can) it shows up in tests until the can is taken out my Mr. Sun (the sun drives of the CC).

If you do the OCLT stating tonight at 9:00pm and the re-testing tomorrow morning at 6:00am. If you have CC in the morning, it means you need to continue the SLAM. I used these times based on my sun patterns, you times may be different. If you do not have any CC, then you may have passed the OCLT, assuming you did not lose FC and your water is clear.

Guy I understand your points about CC, however I'm still curious as to why when my FC measured 15-20 the CC always measured 0? R-0003 didn't change the water back to pink until my FC measured under 15. For instance, yesterday I had FC of 17 and CC of 0 taken at noon. Today's noon test was 10 and 1.

Guy I understand your points about CC,
Well, not really. CC's are transient. Not uncommon for an algae pool to have O CC's and then develop CC's by the application of chlorine. Adding even more chlorine back in and the help of the sun rids your pool of these CC's but they can reappear anytime the FC has more organics to work on.

When your CC's finally test at .5 ppm or less AND your FC holds overnight, that is the signal that the organics have been sufficiently consumed.....but you need both those signals in combination.

The requirement that this happens at night is that it removes the sun's effect from removing the CC and the FC loses due to the sun. I see this like the kitchen garbage can getting garbage (CC) in it while you are sleeping. No one is removing it when you not looking, it just collects. Any FC lost overnight is indicates it was busy killing off algae and organics and converting them to CC ... even if you don't get a CC reading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
tlcottone said:
Guy so I can assume by your post that if FC/CC tonight is 20/0 and if an FC reading tomorrow am is less than 19 or CC reading greater than 0.5, then keep the SLAM going?
Your are correct, but missing one thing...your water should be crystal clear, which maybe it already is?

tlcottone said:
Guy so I can assume by your post that if FC/CC tonight is 20/0 and if an FC reading tomorrow am is less than 19 or CC reading greater than 0.5, then keep the SLAM going?

Given you have clear water,

If your test tonight is 20/0 and your test tomorrow morning is less 19 -OR- your CC is greater than 0.5 (two drops or more)..continue SLAM

If your test tonight is 20/0 and your test tomorrow morning is between 19.0 and 20.0 -AND- your CC is less than 0.5 (one drop)... SLAM finished!

linen said:
tlcottone said:
Your are correct, but missing one thing...your water should be crystal clear, which maybe it already is?
I meant to say water not crystal clear is also a reason to keep going...but it sounds like you understood what i meant even if I said it wrong :oops:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.