Do leaves in the pool create or help Algae grow?

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbury, MN
I just bought a home with a pool. The neighbors' tree branches over the pool. It doesn't look like the pool has been opened in a year and a half. Vacuuming and skimming have yielded...leaves...lots of leaves. I'm curious as to whether leaves are simply a nuisance or if they can cause algae or help algae grow? I don't want my first order of business to ask the neighbor if I can trim the tree, but I will if I have to.

I don't think the tree creates any algae problems. My maple tree is about 25 feet tall and overhangs about 1/4 of the pool. I get plenty of leaves and things dropping from the tree into the pool. You just have to keep the skimmer basket clean and vacuum a little more.

All in all I love having the shade in the later afternoon.

pool.jpg

After the initial kill and oxidation, organic debris basically inert. Otherwise, I would need to clean my filter more than once per year as there are plenty of leaves and dead worms in there. :shock:

However, staining could still be a problem.

1. Leaves (and other stuff that trees drop) are a nuisance
2. They won't directly cause or help algae grow, but like duraleigh stated, they will cause a little chlorine to be consumed, so you'll have to use a little more to keep it up at algae-prevention levels
3. Leaves can help algae to "hide" from chlorine, too, so you'll want to remove them through skimming, vacuuming or manually catching them

I love my leaf-dropping, acorn-dropping, twig-dropping oak that shades the pool and yard; the droppings in the pool are a nuisance, but the positives outweigh the negatives for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.