Adding granular CYA to Skimmer

Jul 18, 2013
Doyle, TN
The pool store guy told me to slowly add the CYA directly into the skimmer (not in a sock).
He said the CYA would sit on the sand in the filter and disolve.
I noticed you guys suggest adding the granules into a sock.
Is there a problwm with letting the granules go into the skimmer directly?
I could see the granules swirling around in the pump strainer.

Thanks

When you add it to a sock you will be sure that it all got dissolved and into the water. When you add it to a skimmer the CYA might sit in the filter and not have enough flow over it to dissolve it and you might need to backwash the filter before it dissolves. If you added it to a skimmer without a sock make sure you run the pump for 48 hours and don't backwash for a week.

OK...that makes good sense. Next time I will use the sock in the skimmer to make sure it dissolvs first.
I am supposed to receive my TF-100 today, and will then determine if I need more CYA.
I ran the pump 24/7 for about 5 days, so hopefully all the CYA dissolved.
I am now only running the pump about 10 hours a day.
The pump pressure is still the same as when I started (about 16psi) so I dont plan to backwash anytime soon.
Thanks

I was reading the instructions for CYA last week, IIRC Step One: Clean the Filter, I guess this assumes if you clean the filter before adding the CYA via the skimmer, you should not need to clean/backwash your filter for a week. This assumes your filter CAN run a week without needing cleaning. If you have any debris in the pool, this may not be possible.

The recommendations here don't make assumptions and allow for imperfect water. In general, I find the instructions on chemicals make assumption that in many cases, are bad assumptions. If you are not the standard gunnite pool, with no damage or metals in your water and clear water, you may damage your pool, pump or water.

I have added it directly to the skimmer numerous times without a problem. I have a cartridge filter though so I don't have the backwashing issue to contend with. Now, I'm not saying that you should dump 4 pounds into the skimmer in a big clump, but a pound shouldn't be a big deal.

257, the challenge here is that our recommendations do NOT require we know all of your exceptions. We know hanging a sock in front of a return works every time, in every pool, without and risk to the pump or filter and if you need to backwash, you have not wasted the product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.