High CYA Level

I am thinking about the BBB method but I have to use all this stuff I already bought :) Maybe not.

OK, so here's how it turned out after draining.
I drained 1/3 of the pool the first day and it had very little effect on the cya.
I drained 2/3 of the water on the second day and the cya was finally measurable on my kit at 90ppm.
So if my math is correct I changed about 77% of the water in the pool and it is still sky high.
I chlorinated using cal-hypo and it only took 10 ounces to bring the TC to 5 so that's good. That is a big difference from 10lbs.
I am going to hold off from draining again until I see the bill for 20k gal of H2O.

Complete readings are as follows:
TC 4.5
FC 4.0
PH 7.4
TA 130
CH 120
CYA 85-90ppm can't really tell and I am waisting all my reagent second guessing myself cause I am a bit ocd.

So does this mean my alkalinity is actually low if my cya is still so high?
I don't remember the formula for figuring out what portion of you TA reading is the cya jacking it up.

What else am I still missing here? Should i just give it a break for a while and swim?

Your TA level is reasonable. You could even lower it a little. We always work with TA readings straight from the test around here, so there is no need to remember the formula for adjusting the TA reading.

Lowering it has always been the problem. That is what makes me think there is something to the belief that cya may give high ta readings
I have added gallons of acid trying to ge the TA down and having only the ph respond.

Followed it to a tee and didn't work. ph was at 6.0 and ta 180.

Also before I found this forum I tried the pool and aerate method.
I don't remember where i read it but supposedly pooling the muriatic acid instead of spreading it across the pool would keep the ph from falling too much.
Then I aerated the pool to keep the ph up and ta down. Didn't work. My ph was at 6.0 and the ta still at 230.
There is something screwy going on with the chemistry in this pool.

OK so I ordered the tf test kit today so I figured I would check everything again since I will be trashing the other test kit once the reagents are gone.

Here's what I got:

TC 3
FC 3
PH 7.2
TA 140
CH 130
CYA 90

Does the still high cya reading not have any bearing on the high TA?
I am guessing I will have to do one more partial drain to get the CYA down.
The dichlor feeder is turned down to the point it will not feed unless the TC drops to 0.0 and I am using cal-hypo to chlorinate manually since the CH is low and I have a 50lb bucket of it.

Does this all sound right?
I don't want to end up back where I was but I can't do another drain until I see the Dang water bill.

The water looks better than it ever has so any advice so I don't screw it up until I do the next drain would be greatly appreciated.

JasonLion the pool calculator is awesome. To be honest I didn't quite understand it the first time I looked at it (it was a little overwhelming) but it makes perfect sense now. Thanks for such a cool tool. :goodjob:

All looks ok for now ( I understand the draining/water bill hesitation) and yes, 90 is high but I don't think it has any bearing on TA. My TA has been 120 since last year and my CYA has gone from 110 to 40.

Your FC is too low for your CYA level - check out the CYA chart for your target.

I do think the Cal-hyp is ok for now because your CH is low, and since you have it....

Glad to hear your water has never looked better!

frustratedpoolmom said:
All looks ok for now ( I understand the draining/water bill hesitation) and yes, 90 is high but I don't think it has any bearing on TA. My TA has been 120 since last year and my CYA has gone from 110 to 40.

Your FC is too low for your CYA level - check out the CYA chart for your target.

I do think the Cal-hyp is ok for now because your CH is low, and since you have it....

Glad to hear your water has never looked better!

There you are. Did you ever think about changing your name on the forum now that you know so much?
You can't still be frustrated :)

Where do I find the cya chart?

EDIT: Man, I really gotta start reading before I post :oops:

Found all the answers in your sig, doh. Now where do I find that pool calculator?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm happy :-D Everything is going well. I added chlorine and brought the level to 7.
When I came home today it was at 7. i didn't need to mess with anything. First time I didn't have to adjust anything in a while.
Everything is in balance. I am going to have a beer and go swimming and contemplate borates. :compress:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.