I finally bought a test kit that alows me to test the cya and it appears to be very high.
I got the Taylor kit, and for those familiar, you mix the pool water with a chemical and then drop in in the tube until a black dot is no longer visible.
The dot disappears for me almost immediately at a good 1/2" below the 100ppm line.
From what I was able to find searching, it could make my chlorine all but ineffective and would explain my >200TA readings.
Am I understanding this right?
Is there anything I can do to lower it? Could the test be wrong? Are the Sox going to win after getting whooped by Detroit?
I am truly sorry if this question has been posted before but the search function will not allow me search for "high" or "cya" and I don't think many people post the full out cyanuric acid spelling so...
I should add:
I have a 20K gallon inground vinyl pool with a cartridge filter, one skimmer one main drain two returns.
The chlorine is fed with a polaris drop feeder that requires the use of dichlor granules.
It is just coming back from being shocked with cal-hypo to 15ppm because the water went green after a rain storm that used up all the chlorine in the hopper while I was away. 3 days of 0 chlorine + rain = muck. It has dropped back down to 5ppm as of today.
The numbers go like this:
7.1 ph (getting it stable after the rain water)