Grill and vinyl fence

Mar 30, 2013
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question. I plan to someday build an outdoor kitchen but it isn't in the current budget. The place I want to put my grill is about 18" from my vinyl (pvc) fence. Will the heat from the back of the grill be too hot for my fence? If so, has anyone built some type of heat block to protect the fence?

18" is not far at all and I too would be worried about radiant heat damage. Not sure what you could or would want to put between the fence and your grill though.

18" is too close to the fence for the grill to not melt it. You could build a heat block with two posts (metal would be best but wood would suffice) then get a couple pieces of cement board and screw them to the posts. You then could tile the sheets or use a stucco finish on them

Not the exact same but the back side of my house is vinyl. I at times when raining have had my grill with in 6in of my siding with no ill effects. Now this was only a few times. Repeatedly it may have an effect.

You probably won't see any immediate changes, but over time it will likely discolor and/or warp slightly. FamilyGuy has a good plan. Really anything that could block and absorb the heat would be good, even just plywood in between the grill and fence. It could absorb the heat and would be a sacrificial item, able to be removed and replaced when needed. I'm just pointing out a simple (and cheap) fix, putting some work in to something that will look nice and last is never a bad idea.

Stevereno said:
JeepMann - I'm not clear, are you talking about putting a stand-alone grill close to the fence now or are you talking about the location for the grill in your future outdoor kitchen build or maybe both?

Both actually. The spot were I plan to put my stand-alone grill would also be the future spot for my outdoor kitchen when I have the funds for the project.

FamilyGuy said:
Lol i am in the construction industry. You would not believe how many jobs i get replacing burnt/melted vinyl siding from grills too close to the house. You are lucky to not have sagging siding panels from the heat
My sister-in-law got her grill too close to the vinyl siding on her house one time and melted the vinyl siding.

JeepMann, I would suggest keeping the grill at least 36" from the fence. If that's not doable due to space constraints and your grill will be a built-in, the next best thing would be to install a ceramic wind break (also serves as a heat shield) behind the grill as I did in the enclosed pic (shown at our former house). If you are going with a free-standing grill, then you could install a cement board barrier between the back of the grill and the fence.[attachment=0:zcmxvi6p]S4010238.JPG[/attachment:zcmxvi6p]

Attachments

• S4010238.JPG
    S4010238.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 157

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.