Brisket Prepared Using Myron Mixon's "Power Cooking" Method

BoDarville

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2012
DFW, Texas
Took the leap of faith yesterday and prepared a 13+ pound brisket using Myron Mixon's fast-cook method. Myron is the most decorated person on the BBQ circuit (3 World Championships and 180 Grand Championships). Although this method of cooking a brisket goes against everything I was taught, I figured it was worth a try given Mr. Mixon's credentials. The brisket must be injected the night before going on the smoker - this is a required step for using this method. The cooking method involves a relatively short time on the smoker (2 1/2 hours uncovered followed by about 1 1/2 hours covered) at high (350°F) temps. That is followed by a long rest period (3-4 hours) while wrapped in a several thick blankets or placed in a cooler lined & wrapped with several blankets or towels. While I cringed at the brisket being smoked at 350°F, the end result was a brisket as tender & juicy as any I have cooked using the traditional "low and slow" method. I still plan on using the low and slow method from time to time (gives me more time to enjoy cold adult beverages while tending to the "hot" smoker), but it is nice to have another option when I need it.

[attachment=0:171lf2vd]Brisket_FastCook.jpg[/attachment:171lf2vd]

Attachments

• Brisket_FastCook.jpg
    Brisket_FastCook.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 244
Re: Brisket Prepared Using Myron Mixon's "Power Cooking" Met

It was 13+ pounds (discarded the cryovac wrapping containing the label), but remember it was 13-something pounds. There is no time-to-size ratio per-se. The closest thing to it is the second part of the smoking process...the part where it is cooked while covered for about 1 1/2 hours. The actual determinant for when that step is done is when the point end of the brisket reaches 205°F which could take more or less than 1 1/2 hours.

Sounds good! I did a smoke yesterday with a 6.5 pound pork shoulder butt. I let my kamado get too hot when I was lighting it. It was over 600. I was able to get it down to 250 and smoked it to 165 then foiled it and cooked it to 205. Yummy.

Yikes, 350 is hot. Not sure I could stomach doing that, at least not yet. I'm a fan of 275-300 or so for maybe 8 hours, unwrapped the whole time. That avoids the sludgy outside.

Thanks for the link. Took a quick glance and there appears to be some good information there. Will have to read it more thoroughly when I have some time.

I will probably do the "low & slow" method more often than the "quick cook" method mainly because the act of smoking meat is a big part of the overall experience for me and one that I enjoy. Even Myron states "...I'm not going to tell you that there's anything wrong with it" [the low & slow method - provided you have the time].

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

BoDarville said:
I will probably do the "low & slow" method more often than the "quick cook" method mainly because the act of smoking meat is a big part of the overall experience for me and one that I enjoy. .

couldn't agree more!!! :-D

You are making me hungry... and I want to smoke a pastrami. I have a Corned Beef in the fridge... may need to convert this to a pastrami with a good soak and couple days of rest.

Just finished the last of this brisket. Even after two weeks, the left-overs that were reheated in the m-wave were amazingly juicy - even more so than previous briskets I have prepared.

On the next brisket cook, I'll probably go with a hybrid approach: Inject a marinade and cook using more of a low & slow method, experimenting with different temps throughout the cooking process (but well below the 350°F I used on this cook). As I stated, I enjoy the experience of BBQ just as much as I enjoy eating it and I'm not under the time pressure of those on the competitive BBQ circuit. However, I just had to try this unconventional quick-cook method just to satisfy my curiosity. It is nice to know that it works for those situations where time is at a premium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.