green pool

Ame

May 22, 2013
Phoenix Arizona
So my brother came home from vacation to a green pool. this is the info he gave me.
He had gone to pool store and they gave him algicide. I dont know whats in that stuff. He says his pool is no longer green but cloudy/milky, blue hue? this is week 3(im just now getting involved)
Hes been using pucks entirely. He has SWG but no salt in pool(duh).
I did test his CYA and the test shows "0" cya( I thought pucks added CYA all the time?)
So I tested His FC it showed "0".
I had given him istructions to get his PH down to 7.2 with muratic acid before SLAMMing then I used pool calc to determine liquid bleach amount: 5 gallons for his pool size 16700., to start. I think he needs to get some CYA in there now before SLAMMing right? to help hold FC.?
He said the pool guy says not to worry about chlorine that he needed to get his alkalinity/ Hardness down by adding baking soda?? Doesnt BS raise PH? and why would he be worried about hardness? and why did he call it alkalinity /hardness?? either I dont understand what I am reading in pool school or my brother is not giving me the correct details of his conversation with pool guy or the pool guy REALLY doesnt know what the heck he is talking about??? :hammer:

Add enough CYA to get to 30. Seems odd that CYA is 0, but I guess you should be glad it is. Either the pool guy has no clue how to take care of pools, or your brother is misunderstanding something, or both. Baking soda raises TA, with little effect on pH. It has nothing to do with CH. If this is a vinyl pool, CH doesn't matter.

Ame said:
He said the pool guy says not to worry about chlorine that he needed to get his alkalinity/ Hardness down by adding baking soda??
Everything in that sentence is wrong. Chlorine is way more important than alkalinity or hardness, especially right now. Baking soda RAISES alkalinity and does nothing for hardness. Either your brother completely misunderstood the pool guy or this pool guy doesn't know bunk.

Unless your brother is willing to give our methods a try or let you take care of things then there is not much that can be done to help. If he isn't willing to run a SLAM to it's completion then you may as well just let him stick with the pool store. You can't teach those unwilling to learn. If he is willing to learn and see it though then we would need a full list of results to get an idea. What are you using to run the tests?

LOL, my brother also told me my TF-100 was a waste of money. LOL I have a crystal clear pool all year here in HOT AZ, His was green now yucky cloudy blue. Whos wasting money. Not me Im swimming. Ha! He better start listening to me. BTW Im an eng hes a plumber. I think he just doesnt like to be told what or how to do thing by a girl??

Ame said:
LOL, my brother also told me my TF-100 was a waste of money. LOL I have a crystal clear pool all year here in HOT AZ, His was green now yucky cloudy blue. Whos wasting money. Not me Im swimming. Ha! He better start listening to me. BTW Im an eng hes a plumber. I think he just doesnt like to be told what or how to do thing by a girl??
I wouldn't waste time with someone that pigheaded. Just send him to the pool store with a slap on the back and a "good luck." Be sure to ask how much he spends each trip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.