Scale, algae, other?

Mend

Jul 27, 2013
Charlotte, NC
First off, Thank you. This site has been a wealth of knowledge. Almost too much for first time pool owner such as myself. Sorry for the length of this post but I want to give as detailed info as possible.

Pool background- Purchased home with poorly maintained pool. Removed safety cover this May and it looked and smelled like a swamp. I immediately started adding tri-chlor to shock, vacuumed to waste, back washed, and everything I could think to do at the time. Had pool store test water. They had me to add CYA, Cal-Hypo, and Soda ash. Pool took weeks to even come close to clear with still a greenish tint.

After lots of money and frustration I stumbled upon this site. I read pool school many times and came to the conclusion that everything the pool store had me do was all wrong. I bought a test kit (K-2005). My CYA was at 90 FC was zero (despite) constant addition of cal-hypo. I have done a partial drain and refill, SLAM (twice), and began using the BBB method with beautiful results. Pool is finally holding FC but still some problems.

First I have brown stains on anything white. Stairs, skimmer, light bezel, returns. Scrubbing does nothing even on stairs with straight bleach on exposed steps during drain/refill.

Also a white/brown scale on bottom of deep end and up slope against water flow.

And green/brown stains in corners of liner and at certain spots in shallow end.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

FC - 10
TC - 10
CC - 0
PH - 7.1
TA - 100
CYA - 35
CH - 500 (fill water is at 100)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 71
How long has the pool been clear? If those are organic stains, which is likely, then a few weeks of adequate FC should start lightening them. Scale may dissolve back into solution if you maintain a Negative CSI. Plug test results into http://www.poolcalculator.com/ and it will tell you what the CSI is. Then play with target values a little and see what lowering TA can do for you, and again, give it a few weeks.

If things still look bad, then start worrying about metal stains. The search feature should help you locate plenty of information about stains.

Thank you for the response. The pool was off and on clear then back to forming algae for about 6 weeks before getting a test kit and following BBB. It has been crystal clear with no algae growth for about 2 weeks. I have been trying to maintain low PH and CSI for the last week and it does show minor improvement. I thought they may be organic due to the rapid consumption of FC but now that seems to have stabilized. I am going to try to keep FC fairly high to make sure. I am assuming that a CSI of -.18 was good for this from reading other posts. The stains on the bottom are rough like sand paper so I was unsure that it would be organic.

Mend said:
Thank you for the response. The pool was off and on clear then back to forming algae for about 6 weeks before getting a test kit and following BBB. It has been crystal clear with no algae growth for about 2 weeks. I have been trying to maintain low PH and CSI for the last week and it does show minor improvement. I thought they may be organic due to the rapid consumption of FC but now that seems to have stabilized. I am going to try to keep FC fairly high to make sure. I am assuming that a CSI of -.18 was good for this from reading other posts. The stains on the bottom are rough like sand paper so I was unsure that it would be organic.
Rough is Calcium scale. Since you don;t need to worry about leaching Calcium from the plaster walls, you can target a lower CSI. Just don't lower the pH too much to do it, or you will have burning eyes and a slim chance of equipment damage. If you are dissolving the scale, look for CH to increase.

It's a shame you can't use a steel brush on it, because I have a theory that the microgrooves the bristles scratch in the scale promote dissolving, the way crushed ice melts faster than the same weight of block ice.

That's great news. I have seen the scale slowly receding and My CH has been going up even after discontinued use of the cal-hypo. Maybe I just need to be more patient and keep following what I've learned here. I can't say enough how huge a help this forum has been. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.