1963 pool resurection

dumbcluck

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2013
long beach, CA
hey everybody, ive been checking out this site for awhile and im curious to know, what will it take for me to bring an old buried gunite pool back to life. it was buried in 1993 due to lack of usage according to neighbors.
i want to dig it out and repipe it with all new plumbing and equipment. i think i can do almost everything between some friends and myself. what do you think? am i nuts or is this doable?
also looking for suggestions on equipment and such. i'd like to keep it as green as possible. (the equipment not the pool)
thinking i might go swg. any thoughts, opinions?
anybody care to share their dream pool if they were starting over knowing what they know now? :?
everything helps, thanks

The problem with these projects is you never know what you are going to get into until you dig it out. It is common practice to punch a hole in the bottom of the pool to allow water to drain when filling in. If your lucky this did not happen or if it did it is small enough to patch, if your not lucky someone went happy with a jack hammer and removed the entire bottom of the pool and your looking at a complete rebuild. Before starting on this project I would try to learn as much as possible about the decommissioning, if it was just due to lack of use and not some major problem (cracked pool, etc.) as well as how it was done.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes. It's not original to the house. House was built in 1951 and the pool was installed by permit in 1963 by blue haven pools. It was buried by permit In 1993. I do not know the depth of the pool yet. I dug down somewhere around the center about 4 1/2' haven't quite hit bottom. My guess is its probably 8-10' in the deep end. I actually called blue haven to see if they had any record of the build and was told that they have a warehouse full of old files and it would cost a few hundred dollars to send someone in to look. No thanks.
My neighbors next door told me that the previous owners buried it due to upkeep and lack of usage. So as far as I know there were no problems with it. It was an easy dig. Mostly dirt and some sand. So far. I have not located any existing pipes yet but suspect they may have come up back there where the shed is.

Well hey, at least that is something more than you knew. Appreciate you sharing this with us. It promises to be very interesting and I can't wait to see what you dig up. Any Idea when you will start?

It will be interesting... we found a buried pool when we began excavation of the pool we built. Ours was a shotcrete shell, but to bury it they had knocked the walls down into the floor. The floor had no holes punched and had collected an amazing amount of water.

file.php

It took 3 guys, a bobcat, a backhoe, diamond blade saws, a dump truck, a week and $4000 to get it gone and regraded so we could do the build we planned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.