1963 pool resurection

Many people put in pools for the kids, the kids grow up and move away, then no one is using the pool, or at least not regularly. Time moves on and after spending hundreds or thousands of dollars per year to maintain a pool they almost never use deciding to fill it in seems reasonable.

dumbcluck said:
It was buried by permit In 1993.

I would be very concerned about this. Around here, to fill a pool by permit, you have to poke 4 holes that are at least 12" in diameter in the deep end. City inspectors are required to confirm these holes prior to back-filling with a gravel layer.

Is that something that can be reasonably "patched" up?

Wow an extra 4 grand because you didn't know it was there? Ouch.
If you look at the picture it's very easy to see our pool. The coping is all there and seems to be in good shape. I think I will have to break up the deck to repipe and probably saw cut the bottom to replace the drain line. Then hopefully patch the concrete and replaster. I really want to add a jacuzzi but think it might end up costing like 25 - 30 k. I'm trying to keep cost as low as possible by doing as much of the work as I can myself.
Any idea what it would cost to build a shotcrete jacuzzi and incorporate into pool?

Isaac-1 said:
Many people put in pools for the kids, the kids grow up and move away, then no one is using the pool, or at least not regularly. Time moves on and after spending hundreds or thousands of dollars per year to maintain a pool they almost never use deciding to fill it in seems reasonable.

Yea I hear ya there. I just have new pool fever so bad, I can hardly see straight.

foobert said:
dumbcluck said:
It was buried by permit In 1993.

I would be very concerned about this. Around here, to fill a pool by permit, you have to poke 4 holes that are at least 12" in diameter in the deep end. City inspectors are required to confirm these holes prior to back-filling with a gravel layer.

Is that something that can be reasonably "patched" up?

I had the same thought about what "by permit" might mean. But if it is only 12" holes that seems OK. When mine was shot they left two 12" holes in the deep end floor to allow ground water in/out prior to plaster and fill. The pebble guys filled them with no issues.

I agree... interesting project to watch, not without some challenges. First question will be where they put the fill.

It is my understanding that pool builders commonly punch holes in pools for water tables while remodeling them. This really should be no different than a common remodel then. After we remove all the dirt and sand of course.
Any thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What do you want to know, specifically? Recommendations depend on what you currently have and what you are going to add. Pump recommendation for a pool alone is different if you add a spa.

Brushpup- still trying to figure where to put all this dirt.
Jblizzle- I am going to do a full repipe both plumbing and electrical and add a spa. I'm thinking of having the spa flow over into the pool semi waterfall style. This way maybe I can share a pump and filter.
I haven't dug out all of the dirt and sand in it yet but it has been estimated to be around 20000 gallons.
As far as equipment goes, I'm not afraid to spend on it. I want to use whatever is going to be most efficient and reliable. Pentair, jandy or whatever. I also want to make sure that I run the correct size and number of pipes for plumbing and circulation.
I live in long beach, ca. It is pretty warm here most of the year. Currently around 100 degrees which is a great motivating factor to get this pool back to life for next summer!

After what I've learned during my ownership period, if I had to do it all over again I'd probably go all Pentair. I have a Pentair pump and filter, and the idea of having everything controlled by one interface, such as SWG, valves, etc., is attractive.

-Separate plumbing runs from the pool to the equipment for the skimmer / floor ... 2" pipe
-May want control over individual return jets in the pool to adjust circulation (separate run to each with valves?) ... 1.5" pipe is plenty
-Spa suction and return plumbing should be big, like 2.5"+ pipe kind of depends on the number of jets
-Certainly at a minimum get a 2-speed pump (or go with VS pump) that could be run on low for filtration and high for spa/vac/etc
-Have you given consideration on how you are going to clean the pool (by hand/suction cleaner/pressure cleaner/robot)? Add a dedicated pipe run if you may go suction or pressure cleaner

I agree that is your are going to consider automation and/or SWG and/or VS pumps it is good to match the manufactures. Although any automation can run any 2-speed motor just fine.

Thank you jblizzle that is exactly what I am looking for!
This will be my first pool. I am capable of doing the work but not real knowledgeable about what I need. I have a basic idea but don't want to figure out too late that I missed a run or ran the wrong size pipe for the application.

Oh and I am also thinking salt water and variable speed pump. Probably solar heating and separate heater for spa. Not sure about filters yet.
I would like for the equipment to be green but not the pool.
I'm thinking Hayward or pentair equipment. Sure would be nice to control everything together and remotely too if possible.
Haven't thought a lot about cleaning methods. I saw a cool looking room a type thing floating around in a pool on solar power that sorta ate all the floating stuff out of the pool. Seemed pretty sweet except it was $300-500 or so if I remember right.
Any recommendations on that aspect? I'm not experienced enough with pools to pretend I know anything much about keeping them clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.