Phos Free

Wildcat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I have a couple of bottles of Phos Free and one bottle of Pool Perfect. I bought and used them before I found TFP. Other than very high CYA, go figure, my pool has been algae free and clear. I am switching to BBB, hampered only by high CYA levels and the reality of not draining 6000 gallons in a desert environment. Might these two additives act sort of like an extra filtering agent in my cartridge filter, much like DE in a sand filter, or should I just dump them?

Phos Free does nothing for filtering, but do lower your phosphates, so make it harder for algae to get established, the only thing is if your at the point of algae getting established you already have an out of balance pool.

Neither of those is going to help your filtering at all. Pool Perfect is very handy if you have the problem it is designed to solve, large quantities of oil (typically sun tan oil), otherwise it is useless.

Neither product will help with filtering, but I would hang on to them until after your next pool party where you could use the Pool Perfect to mitigate any excess suntan oil. Even though phosphates are a non-issue in a properly chlorinated pool, the Phos Free will lower whatever phosphates may be in the pool. Right as I was converting to BBB, I used up my existing Phos Free - it will not hurt anything. Once it was gone, I did not purchase any more after I learned that proper chlorination will keep algae at bay regardless of the pool's phosphate level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.