The Old O'Ring - Cartridge Filter

bxcrwlly

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 3, 2012
Central Florida
After two years of using my Pentair CC100, I noticed the O-Ring being a bit worn, stretched and plus the fact I seemed to be drawing a slight bit of air into my system. I figured it was about time for a replacement, so off to the pool store I go. Got the O-ring and an extra tube of silicon pool lube. After cleaning the O-ring ally and greasing up the ring, I tried installing as I had done many times with the old one. Hmmmm....seemed to be almost half the size. I had to have an assistant help to stretch and install the new one. Re-installed the filter top, bled the air and away we went. Air leak stopped and everything seemed to be operating normal. After two weeks, I cleaned the filter. As normal I always pull the O-ring and wipe it off, clean the ally, lube the ring and re-install. This time, I could get enough slack from the ring, so I tried wedging my finger under it to lift it off. No such luck, so I installed the cleaned filter, bled the air. All seemed normal until later in the afternoon. I noticed water running down the side of the filter in two or three places. No air leak, just water. It had pooled at the bottom of the filter frame. I suspected, I rolled the O-ring or somehow didn't get it sealed properly. I called another favorite pool store and proceeded to purchase another O-ring just to be safe. Got it home and went through the clean, lube and stretch to install routine. Man, these things are super tight. So here's my questions:
1) I know the O-rings should be lubed often. Does that mean you should always remove it to do so or leave well enough alone and lube the exposed part of the ring only. Never had a problem removing and replacing the original and YES, the replacements are the correct parts.
2) Is there a "tool" one can use to easily remove the ring without causing harm to the rubber? I've read that some filters have a slot where a "tool" can be inserted to remove the ring, but I don't see one on the Pentair CC100 frame.

I did my homework on the net and this site before posting. I didn't see any postings that talked about removal, cleaning frequency and process or tools to use, so hopefully I'm not "doubling the hill."

As always, I appreciate the feedback and support from the forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.