New user needs help with very old filter system

Castle

Sep 22, 2012
Hello!
I have a 20,000 gallon vinyl lined pool built in about 1965 and the filter system is pretty old.
I have been in the house about 4 years and have had little trouble until this year. I never have been able to get the pool water clean and algae free despite multiple shocks and "green to clean" treatments. It's August 3 and I have yet to get in the pool.

I have begun thinking the major issue is the filter system.

It is a fabric cartridge system from "Hi-Perm"

Anyway, it used to be that when my filter got to about 20 PSI I would have to change it and now it never gets past 10PSI - so I'm thinking either the inserts have some serious weak spots in them (there are 4 and I get the same result regardless of the one I use) or that there is a fundamental problem with the filter equipment itself.

I was just cleaning the pool and watever algae I suck up through the vacuum is coming out through the pump outlet and back into the pool

Anyone have any experience with these filters or should I just call it a day and get a new filter system. If new, what should I choose?

thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I have begun thinking the major issue is the filter system.
I stopped right there and read no further. Filtration only filters non-living debris from your pool....it has nothing to do with the presence or removal of live algae.

Live algae exists because you have inadequate chlorine in the pool. Please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

When that is all digested, read "SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain" in the How To section of Pool School. SLAMming your pool will be required but you'll have to give us some valid test results before you start.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.