Using old sand filter with Intex pool

unkyjoe

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2013
Seguin TX
Greetings,

I have an old Hayward sand filter-pump combo I bought from Leslies about 6 years ago.

It had a Hayward 1HP pump that has seized bearings on it, what I was hoping to do was to use the old sand filter and base and purchase a Doheny's 3/4 hp pump to go with it.

Problem is I dont know if this pump is large enough for the sand filter I have or should I go with the 1hp pump they offer?

Another question, the valve that goes on the top of the Sand Filter has sat out in the South Texas sun for 6years and although I can push the lever and rotate the valve I am wondering if it will need to be disasembled and rebuilt as well. I have included some pictures to help identify the filter and show the condition of the valve etc.

P.S. The Valve is the SP714-A

Attachments

• filter-1.jpg
    filter-1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 64
  • filter-2.jpg
    filter-2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 64
  • valve-1.jpg
    valve-1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 64
What size filter is that? We need to know that diameter, it can be measured using a tailors ruler wrapped around it to measure circumference and then divide that result by pi (~3.14). Do you have a link that you can post for the pump?

On the old pump, bearings can be replaced, and the motor could be replaced too (if you do we would recommend a 2-speed).

unkyjoe said:
Another question, the valve that goes on the top of the Sand Filter has sat out in the South Texas sun for 6years and although I can push the lever and rotate the valve I am wondering if it will need to be disasembled and rebuilt as well. I have included some pictures to help identify the filter and show the condition of the valve etc.
It may be fine...you could try it and see. Most likely if has problems, it will be the spider gasket and/or spring.

With a tape measure it is 52" around divided by pi = 16" Sand Filter.

Does that sound right?

P.S The goal is to adapt this thing to my pool and to install a standard skimmer in the sidewall so I can use a pool cleaner like to auqa bug or similar.

I know a two speed motor will save me money, however I only run the pump about 4hrs per day as this pool is only about 6000 gals.

16 inches is well sized for your pool (it is just above the minimum we recommend). As that is a fairly small filter, you want a fairly small pump too. If you do get the doheny's pump, I would go no bigger than the 3/4 hp agp pump. I am not familiar with who makes their pump...but the price isn't bad. They show no data on the performance curves, but I would guess it will do fine backwashing that small of a filter.

I think I have the same valve... If I remember correctly, the valve you have is not one you can replace the gasket in. I think you have to replace the assembly with the gasket installed.

I was right! http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how_ ... valve.aspx this article's discussion includes comments that confirm that the gasket used to be available but is no longer sold as a separate part.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Yep I looked the valve up and that seems to be the case. Price is not bad for the part.

But the more I look into this the more I may be persuaded to just purchase the Intex 2650 Filter and Pump and be done with it. I wonder how the Pump holds up on the Intex.

Update: I was able to grab a LIKE new Hayward 1HP pump for $60.00 on craigslist, it is less than a year old.

I am going to use this for the Hayward 16" sand filter I had for my previous 24' AGP.

So questions:

1: I want to place the pump and filter near the house-roughly 20ft from the pool, I plan to hard plumb the pool, install a Hayward skimmer and return to replace the ones on the Intex. I am also going to do a PVC pipe fountain for aeration.

Can the filter and pump be placed this far from the pool? What size PVC, should I go with 1.5 inch sched 40 or should I use 2inch sched 40 then reduce at the pump and pool back to 1.5inch?

I am also going to install the gate valves at the pool instead of the Intex plunger valves in case I need to shut off the water coming back from the pool for maint.

I am also running a 1.5 inch sched 40 pipe with a gate valve to the edge of the pool to re-fill the water when needed.

I will be placing the pump on an Intermatic timer so I can set and forget, I will run the backwash line to a dry well a few feet away from the filter to use for backwashing.

What do you think?

Attachments

• filter-location1.jpg
    filter-location1.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 41
  • filter-to-pool1.jpg
    filter-to-pool1.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 41
  • pool-to-filter1.jpg
    pool-to-filter1.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 41
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.