Balancing Water Before SWG Install Help

Jul 11, 2013
Puerto Rico
Hi!

I'm installing a new SWG (Hayward).
Have been reading up on the manuals and they indicate preparing the water. For salt system they recommend getting the salt and stabilizer to level as well as use metal reducer.

What are the experiences in the real world?

Thanks!

Do you even have any metals that need reducing? Other than that, balance the pool per pool school, especially cya level required for your SWG and add the salt and circulate for 24 hours prior.

Hi!

Ok, I just tested the water with Pentair Model 78 All-In-One Kit

Pool is 6,500gal

Chlorine Residual: Right at 1ppm
pH: 7.3ppm
Acid Demand: Did not test as kit states if pH is above 7.8ppm
Total Alkalinity: 30ppm

Metals: I will have to take a sample to the store or can anyone recommend an available kit?

How does it look?

Thanks in advance.

J

You need to add your pool specs in your signature and we can offer more precise answers. The ranges you need depend on your pool type; plaster, vinyl, fiberglass.

You need to adjust your TA up to 60-80 range, use baking soda for this. Use the pool calculator for the amount you need to add, http://www.poolcalculator.com/.

If you want to have full control of your pool you will need a test kit that we recommend. The kit you have seems to be missing a couple of the tests. See my signature for the link to the test kits.

Read Pool School, top right button on each page, it will be in your best interest to understanding your pool.

Chlorine is low but it all depends on your CYA level. With a SWG you want the CYA to be 70-80.

I would not be too worried about metals in the water to get the SWG up and running. If you are on well water to fill the pool then I suggest you to get the water tested for metals. Most pool stores should be able to test this for you. If you added something with copper in it to the water, then you will want to test for metals.

By the way, I am in Puerto Rico so pool supplies here are quite limited and expensive.

I will check on the best pool store we have, see what test kits they carry and come back for opinions (if I don't find the ones already suggested).

Thanks!

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you ... like that tidbit about being in Puerto Rico ;)

Since the pool supplies are expensive ... all the more reason to see if you can find the equivalent in the laundry aisle (bleach, etc) or hardware store (muriatic acid).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Much better now!

Well, it is nice down here, but the heat is diabolical from July-September.
I don't mind paying the price as long as it is the correct stuff.
I do have access to shipping to Florida and have the items sent to me (when dealing with companies that do not ship direct to PR).

My new SWG system should be here late next week and I want to start preparing in order to have the pool properly balanced and ready for the salt.

Thanks!

J

You can put the salt in now so you will not have to wait for it to mix in later. Make sure you measure the salt content before you add any salt to the water as it already has some in it, but how much you will not know until it gets tested. Find a manual online to see how much salt the SWG requires.

Do you know if there are metals in your supply water? The algaecide 4 years ago should not be of any concern now.

If you have a Zip Code, Dave can send you a kit. Just make sure your salt has no additives like resin cleaner or Iron cleaner. I don't know the demand for softener salt down there or how hard it will be to find. Good luck and post back for an update with the new kit.

Hi!
Ok, the closest I could find was the K-2005 so I purchased as it should not be too far from the K-2006 (I hope).
I must say this Taylor Kit looks WAY more complete and professional than anything I've seen before.

Ran tap water for a minute and took a 1 cup sample.
Tap Water Results (San Juan, PR):
Free Chlorine = 1.5ppm
Total Chlorine = 2.0ppm
Combined Chlorine = 0.5ppm
Total Bromine = 3ppm
PH = 8.0
Alkalinity Test = 110ppm Calcium Carbonate
Calcium Hardness = 70ppm Calcium Carbonate

I am currently waiting on the Pool to be running for about 1 hour to take the sample and test the Pool Water.
Will post as soon as done.

Thanks!

J

Bad news. The K-2005 is not what you want. You need to add the FAS-DPD chlorine test to your kit to have the equivalent of the K-2006 ... and that just happens to be the most expensive test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.