I need help with coping repair or replacement on inground po

Aug 2, 2013
Please, see the attached pictures:
I have 2-3 problem spots on my coping that are getting worse every year. The rest of the plastic coping is cracked here an there but it is not as bad.
I had an estimate done by pool company for $10,000 . I do not think I need to rebuild the pool all over again...
On the other side, I had estimate from concrete company that wanted to remove the concrete deck, install new coping and concrete but I do not think they will be experienced enough with the pool sides or liner...I am afraid I will spend more money to fix the problems after his "repairs"
It should be possible to have cheaper and easier solution.
Is there any coping that can be installed over my old one?
Do I need to change the liner if I change the coping.
What can I do? Any suggestions and Ideas?
We purchased the house 10 yrs ago with the pool and I am not sure how old it is, but maybe in total 20-25 yrs.

Attachments

• DSC06764.JPG
    DSC06764.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC06762.JPG
    DSC06762.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC06765.JPG
    DSC06765.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 264
Re: I need help with coping repair or replacement on ingroun

There isn't any coping that can be installed over coping.
When the coping goes the liner goes as well. (so wait until the liner is in need of replacement)
The only other option is aluminum track that gets mounted under your current coping [but your issue is with the current cracked coping not looking good not that it doesn't hold the liner anymore so this really doesn't apply]
So basically you'll get the concrete removed the coping comes off and then they install new coping (of any type really) and then the new liner gets installed.

You could make it look a little better by using fiberglass to patch the cracks in the coping and painting it white.

This is why you don't see plastic coping much on new installations any more, it's kind of junk.

I would contact more pool companies for additional estimates. Cost varies widely across companies and geography (where are you located? You might add that info and your pool info to your signature, it will help people give you advice), and I was amazed to hear lots of different ideas from the PB when one finally visited our house this week. Things that hadn't even occurred to me, even after 18 months of internet research!

It also looks like the heaving concrete deck (at least in the first pic) has caused the coping cracks, so I wouldn't repair one without the other.

Thank you for your suggestion!

I liked the idea of the fiberglass. We can try to patch it.
How will I know when the liner will have to be changed?
It sounds like costly repair. When I remove the liner probably the concrete underneath will be cracked and will need to be patched, then to renew the concrete deck and coping and at the end the price may be like to build a new pool. It is a 18X36 rectangular pool.

Liners typically last between 10-15 years. As they age they will become brittle so it will either crack and drain out or "dry rot" (uv and chemical damage) tears will start to form above the water line

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.