Newly Installed IG Pool - Without Filter

Jul 25, 2013
Eastern PA
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new to owning a pool. We just had a small IG Steel Wall/Vinyl Liner pool installed 3 days ago. I filled the pool completely 2 days ago so the pool builders could backfill over the concrete to set the steel walls.

Here is my dilemma: The electrician cannot come to run the electrical wires from pool to the filter to the house switch, as well as the underwater pool light. My husband and I are what you'd call totally clueless on how to take care of a pool, let alone a pool that does not have a filtration system hooked up. So...here are my questions:

1. Is my pool water going to be ok until Tuesday without a filter? I did shock it tonight, as the pool installer suggested.

2. What would the daily maintenance be since I shocked it tonight?

3. Is it safe for my children to swim in it? The weather here on the East Coast has been and is forecasted to stay in the lower 80's/partly sunny/low humidity up until Tuesday.

I'm simply looking for advice on my situation. My children are becoming impatient (as am I) to swim in our new pool, but I don't want to compromise their safety in doing so.

Thanks in advance,
Suzanne81571

Welcome to the forum. Spend your time waiting on the electrician by reading pool school and considering one of the test kits there. I'd get some FC in there pronto using bleach and you can brush it around---about 5 to 7 ppm.. Check the Ph and get it in range and let the kiddos have at it. They'll stir it up! I wouldn't add any CYA until you get the filter/pump running. Use pool calculator to determine how much bleach to add DAILY to keep that FC up. A few pucks in a floater is a good idea at this point as well.

Brushing after adding liquid chlorine will mix it well into the water. You should also skim the surface with a net to remove any floating debris until the filter and pump are up and running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.