Anyone experimented with return eyes

dickeystorm

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2010
Lake Jackson, TX
I'd like to know what happens when the return eyes are swapped for smaller openings. Is the flow better, as in more turbulence? I imagine the pressure would go up with a faster flow.

Anyone using the slotted type? What's the benefit of the slotted type?

Why would you want more turbulence? About the only situation I can think of where that is important is when you are trying to increase aeration to raise the PH.

In most cases you want the largest of the standard eyeball sizes. The major exception is when various sizes are used on different returns to balance the flow rate between the various returns. Aside from that using smaller returns lowers the flow rate for no benefit.

The slotted style of return fitting can by handy to create return flows that run along the wall, as a regular eyeball fitting can not be turned quite that sharply. How important that is very much depends on your particular arrangement of returns vs the shape of your pool.

I was thinking that a stronger surface flow would help drive debris to the skimmer. Up until recently the flow has been pretty feeble. I also did want to have the ability to aerate to keep the TA in check. I may be over thinking it though since I like to tinker ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.