New project, help needed before returning to Afghanistan!!!

pzmotorsports

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Hello everyone, I have been a member for almost a year now the same time I had been waiting to start my pool projece and finally got it almost completed. It is 18 x 36 inground vinyl lined pool. I only had about 18 days for this project before I have to return to Afghanistan which would be this next Monday. I had been so cought up with all the build process that I feel I do not have enough experience to be able to properly train my wife and kids to maintain the pool to include chemicals. I will greatly appreciate any advice regarding the first steps to take before we begin swimming; as far as the filter valve set up and what position does what and how often to switch between selections. Also I have a manual timer that is not permanently set up because I am not familiar with the process and how to set it to run for the hours desired. Also I have the TF water testing kit (great kit by the way) that will be using upon completion of the pool being filled, currently is about 10 inch. from the skimmer bottom. I am debating on getting the chemicals correct (if I can by Monday) and letting a pool cleaning person handle the rest in my absence? As I write this the back fill is being completed and the forms will be in place for concrete on Monday, but we will be swimming hopefully by tomorrow. Any assistance to get me going will be greatly appreciated, my appologies for not going thru the archives but I have been working sun up to sun down trying to get this going for my kids before I return to Afghanistan. :( Thanks!

Vinyl Liner Inground 18X36
Hayward Super Pump 1.5 hp
Hayward Salt Filter (300 lb)
Hayward Inline Chlorinator
Hayward Color Logic LED Light

Hi there.... are you in the service- thus the trip to Afghanistan?

Pool School, the link is in my signature, as is the pool calculator and CYA chart.

BBB for beginners, here http://www.troublefreepool.com/newsletter.php?view_newsletter=6

And in the pool school link, read the ABC's of pool water chemistry.

I know it's a lot to take in in 2 days and you may not have time to read it all and get the hang of it. If you were not to hire a company, would your wife be doing the maintenance?

The problem with pools is its always nice for someone "in-house" to have basic knowledge of the issues in case something arises; a pool company may not respond when they are needed....but you may not have an alternative. If it is your wife, has she read any of the articles on this site?

There are a lot of wives on here who "handle things"....she really has nothing to fear as far as the pool goes. And of course we other wives are willing to help....

In any event, you can post your test numbers here and we'll give you whatever advice we can in this short time.

A pool company can't possible screw it up that bad for a short time :hammer: ....how long will you be over there?

Hi,
we are also a military family...don't worry be sure to have your wife check out this website, I'm sure everyone will give out helpful info.

we are pretty new to pool ownership too (just moved from Germany last Sept) I (wife) came with the kids to get the house all sorted and get daughter started into school. I went with a pool service for several months, just to make my life easier and get a feel for pool ownership.

now I'm pretty much taking care of everything (so far atleast)....thats good you have the TFP kit, the key is to watch your chemistry.
as for the pool filter we also have a sand filter....turn off the pump before moving the valve on top of filter, if your psi (pressure) gets to high its time to backwash (turn off pump and switch to back wash for about 2-3mins until the water is clear)...turn off pump again and switch to rinse (pump back on ) for about 30 secs. I usually have to backwash about once a week or two....my normal pressure is usually about 18 so when I get to 20 its about time.

be sure to check your skimmer basket daily and empty...don't put your hand in and scoop, try and pull it out and then dump it (i got a spider bite, nothing serious) and also found a dead baby mole by just grapping out the leaves :shock:

is she going to use a auto/robot cleaner or manual vacuum? I usually do both (our polaris is pretty old but, its still holding in) manual vacuuming is trial and error to get your good technique.

hopefully everyone will chime and give out some more good inputs.

oh' and for the filter...do you have the manual? you can just go online and Hayward should have it listed.

good luck and please be safe!!!!

Chris

I will like to thank everyone for the promp response! I am a disabled veteran currently working in Afghanistan as a Army Contractor. Frustated Pool Mom thanks for the news letter and calculator, very good info. I would like for my wife to handle the pool while I am gone but she has very little time between the kids and her job and I believe it will be better to hire someone during my absence, which might be 3 to 4 months. I was hopping for the concrete deck to be done by today but that will not happen, I still have about 1.5 ft to go in order to complete filling the pool but it has a plastic tarp on it in order to keep the dust and dirt out of it while they work and due to this I will not be able to get a reading during the weekend, hopefully on Monday while the cement is drying. Also thanks to Chrisa and The Mermaid Queen for the warm welcome! Those basic steps concerning the equipment are very helpful to us as well. I believe my wife and kids will do good in the future but the main thing is for me to learn and do a one on one with them and pass down the knowledge, this is how it always works with them. Also our pool kit included hose and attatchment which I believe attatches to the skimmer for manual vaccuming. I will be looking thru the archives to see what is recommended for this type of pools, I will like a robotic type but one that will not break the bank! Once again thanks..

I forgot to ask this question, how long can I go without running my pump with all this water in the pool. I can run it right now if necessary, I just don't know for how long and how frequent and how to set my timer for it to come on automatically. Thanks for the advice

Welcome to TFP

The sooner you get the chemicals in, the better. Otherwise you could have problems before you even start, so get the chems in pronto :)

congrats on your new pool.

Happy swims
Frank

ps my pool is about the same as yours and i run 8 hours a day 2pm till 10 keep a close eye on your CL levels four the first week and adjust your SWG?, chlorinator, accordingly.

pzmotorsports said:
I will like to thank everyone for the promp response! I am a disabled veteran currently working in Afghanistan as a Army Contractor. Frustated Pool Mom thanks for the news letter and calculator, very good info. I would like for my wife to handle the pool while I am gone but she has very little time between the kids and her job and I believe it will be better to hire someone during my absence, which might be 3 to 4 months. I was hopping for the concrete deck to be done by today but that will not happen, I still have about 1.5 ft to go in order to complete filling the pool but it has a plastic tarp on it in order to keep the dust and dirt out of it while they work and due to this I will not be able to get a reading during the weekend, hopefully on Monday while the cement is drying. Also thanks to Chrisa and The Mermaid Queen for the warm welcome! Those basic steps concerning the equipment are very helpful to us as well. I believe my wife and kids will do good in the future but the main thing is for me to learn and do a one on one with them and pass down the knowledge, this is how it always works with them. Also our pool kit included hose and attatchment which I believe attatches to the skimmer for manual vaccuming. I will be looking thru the archives to see what is recommended for this type of pools, I will like a robotic type but one that will not break the bank! Once again thanks..

Ditto MQ I want to thank you for your service too, and for making the journey overseas to what we all "know" (most of us will never really know) is a difficult place to be.... :salut:

We know you want the ideal, and at this point it sounds like a service company is the way to go. May I offer a compromise/suggestion? Have the company service it for the first month or so while your wife reads the info here, "in her free time-LOL" and when she feels ready, she can start testing the water and making herself comfortable with the routine...once your water is balanced, which "They" can do, she should be able to manage it daily with 5 minutes of testing/adding chlorine and any necessary chemicals. I know it seems overwhelming now, but once you understand the testing/chemistry/water issues, and your water is stable/balanced IT REALLY IS only 5 minutes a day (okay, maybe 10).

Best wishes to you and your family. :)

pzmo, So very happy that you are well and the pool is becoming a reality!! I wouldn't spend the $ on the pool service, they will probably do things to your pool you won't want done and we can talk your wife and son through almost anything they need to do (as I said last Aug - you or they are more than welcome to pm me with ANY pool question :-D ) I hope you've enjoyed your too short time home! Spend the $ you would pay for pool service on sending your wife flowers and buying your son a new video game (or whatever he's interested in) each month - trust in us to help them care for the pool 8)

Again, I THANK YOU!! for what you are doing for our country/ the world!!!!!!!! :bowdown:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.