How do main drains work?

twowhlrcr

Gold Supporter
Sep 1, 2011
Goodyear, AZ
Hey Guys, newbie here. See the two attached pics. The red arrows point to the 2 main drains. The yellow goes to my pump. I'm assuming that the green goes to the main drains? How does the suction get to the main drains if there is nothing to connect the yellow and green? Appreciate any help.

Attachments

• Main Drains.JPG
    Main Drains.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Skimmer.JPG
    Skimmer.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 168
I was perplexed by the same issue at first.

There should be a thing that looks like a flying saucer that drops in that hole just above your arrows. On this flying saucer is an adjustable flap; if the flap is all the way closed, your skimmer is doing nothing and all the water going to your pump is forced through your main drains. If the flap is partially or fully open, then the water going to your pump is divided between your main drains and your skimmer. The usual recommendation is to start with the flap about half closed, and adjust from there.

Don

I leave my float valve (actual term for the flying saucer) out most of the time. I would rather have the better skimming action than drawing from the main drain with reduced skimming. The main drain really doesn't do much anyway.

The green hole might connect to the main drains, it might be plugged, or it might go to an equalizer.

How many lines go into the pump?

Is there a 1.5-inch hole in the wall directly beneath the skimmer?

Can you post a picture of the front of the pump?

You could put a garden hose into the front hole to see if any water comes out of the main drains.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.