How might my pool be plumbed?

dickeystorm

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2010
Lake Jackson, TX
I'm looking at replumbing my equipment pad including replacing the pump. I'm trying to determine the system head/characteristics to determine which pump will best serve. My pool was built in 1984 and is freeform gunite with 1 skimmer and 1 drain and 4 returns in the pool side and 2 drains and 5 returns in the spa side. The suction side of my pump has 2 2 inch lines running to a 3 way valve. The 2 return lines from the pump are 1.5 inch. As best I can determine so far there is one line each for suction and return to the pool and spa.

I'm trying to figure out how the lines run underground. I think the pool suction line runs from the drain to the skimmer and then to the pump. Does that sound correct?

Would the return line be one continuous pipe with tees where the return jets are or separate lines to each jet?

Would the spa side have separate pipe runs all the way back to the pad? I think that is correct, but not sure.

My reason for the re-plumb is multiple leaks at the pad. The reason for a new pump is to get better flow and save some energy, the current is a 1 speed.

I also have a heater in the circuit which I am thinking of eliminating since I do not use it and do not intend to.

Just looking for any advice to hopefully do this right the first time, thanks.

I can post a schematic of the pool if it helps.

I think the pool suction line runs from the drain to the skimmer and then to the pump. Does that sound correct?
That's probably right. Is there a diverter in the bottom of the skimmer?

Would the return line be one continuous pipe with tees where the return jets are or separate lines to each jet?
It's probably looped through the shell of the spa with Ts where the jets are.

No heater with a spa? Seems odd. You never heat it up during the fall/winter/spring?

Thanks for the reply melt. The skimmer doesn't have anything but an outlet hole in the bottom. If I put a pole down into the hole it only goes 4 or 5 inches and then hits something. There are no other valves on the suction except the 1 3 way.

I don't use the heater because it doesn't work and I don't see the value in repairing it and for health reasons. I also have 3 60' oak trees nearby that make an incredible mess in the fall and spring so I usually close the pool for the winter. I've also been led to believe that the spa is really expensive to heat and once you turn it off the heat is gone and you start from scratch. That doesn't make sense to me and we picked up a used hot springs tub cheap that satisfies that need ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.