Possible problem with CC ?

Jul 18, 2013
Doyle, TN
I am a new pool owner...this website is very helpful...thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Filled my brand new pool 5 days ago and added (10) - 40 lb bags of salt.
Have been running the pump full speed and the SWG on 75% capacity for 24-7 (for 5 days now).
Here are my initial Pool Store water test results after running pump and SWG for about 20 hours:

FC 0.02
TC 0.02
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 26
CH 22
CYA 2
Salt 2900

I followed the Pool Store advice and did the following:
1. Added 10 lbs Alkalinity increaser.
2. Added 4 lbs CYA

The Pool Store did not advise for me to add salt, but I chose to add another bag since the SWG manufactuer recommendations state minimum 3000ppm and prefered 4000ppm.

Here are my results this morning using LaMotte Insta Test 6:

FC 5
TC 5 to 10 (not sure since colors keep changing)
pH 7.2
TA 120
CH 0
CYA 40

The water is very clear and looks great.

1. So my concern is possible high CC levels (not sure since TC color initially looks like about at 5 but then starts getting darker quickly and looks like as high as 10).

2. Also wondering if running the pump and SWG 24-7 is good advice (this is what Pool Store suggested...they said it was easier on the pump) ?

3. Should I add more CYA?

After getting the FC = 5 this morning I decided to reduce the SWG to 50%.

Thank you

Welcome to tfp, Stingem84 :wave:

Before doing anything else, I would recommend to stop using test strips. Very often they are outright misleading. Unfortunately, the combined experience on tfp indicates that pool store testing is inconsistent and not "real time" enough. We would recommend investing in an appropriate test kit. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison Many of us have the tf-100 since it is the best value. The test kit will allow you to know where your pool is at chemically and the methods on this board will allow you to keep it trouble free.

Also, take a look at this pool school article on swgs: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Welcome to TFP!

1. To take full control of your pool you need an accurate test kit, TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. See my signature for a link. Test strips and pool store testing are not reliable. These test kits will be able to measure the exact amount of FC and CC. A good test kit like these will be the best investment for your pool that you can make. Note that they are available mostly on the web and not in pool stores.

2. You do not need to run the pump 24/7 unless you want to pay more than you need to for the electrical use. Most people run their pools 10 hours or less during the swim season. You will need to experiment with this as time goes by. You will also have to adjust the SWG output accordingly.

3. With SWG's you want the CYA to be 70-80 ppm. I would add another 3 pounds to shoot for 70.

Read Pool School, top right button on each page, to learn more of what we teach.

Your own kit will be much more meaningful to us and will help reveal any issues you might have. That your water is clear is a VERY good sign.

Wait on you kit before increasing CYA.....it's hard to get out of your pool if that 40 ppm is falsely low.

Here are my initial test results using TF-100 kit:

FC 4
CC 0.5
TA 95
CYA 23
pH 7.8
Salt 4400

So apparantly I need to add more CYA...I will use the pool calculator to determine how much.
Should I be concerened about the CC = 0.5? I think this is supposed to be zero.
My salt chlorinator states to use minimum 3000ppm but preferred 4000ppm, so I am a little hight...is this a problem?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.