August Warning!

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Ok folks, we're officially at August plus one. Gonna be 104 at my house today! Welcome to the surface of the sun. August is the home stretch of summer for most of us with Hotter temps, Hotter water temps and most likely higher bather loads. Not a bad idea to ante up on your normal daily chlorine dosage to enjoy the full month and avoid any issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This year was definitely not the best summer for a pool near the Chicago area We had about 2 weeks where the pool got in the 80's. Now it is back down to 72.

Overall this has been a pretty cool summer, at least for the Midwest. I would like 2-3 weeks of mostly sunny and mid 80s. After that we can start fall I guess. It's amazing to think that we're starting the 3rd month of swim season and it feels as though we've had about 2 summer weeks worth of use in total.

woodyp said:
Not a bad idea to ante up on your normal daily chlorine dosage to enjoy the full month and avoid any issues.
I kicked my FC up a notch about a week ago as water temps approached 90°F. Around these parts, August is the month where pools with borderline water chemistry start to come apart.

Two years ago (in August) there was a wide-spread outbreak of "red algae" in this area. What is often termed "Red" or "Pink Algae" is not actually an algae, but a bacterium. It leaves a reddish-pink slime on the pool surface as well as PVC piping which is what a majority of pool plumbing is made from. It is tough to get rid of due to that protective slime layer. Since it is technically not an algae, algaecides are of no use in preventing this even before an outbreak. Prevention is the key and this involves constantly maintaining adequate FC levels according to the CYA level of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.