Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach adds salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach adds salt?

I've been using the pool calculator to estimate my pool needs since it was built a couple months ago, and the results are spectacular so far. I have a non-swg pool (bbb method), and have no added salt.

My question is this: I just realized via the pool calculator that bleach and/or liquid chlorine add salt when you use it. I would rather avoid salt in my pool for various reasons, but according to the calculator, I'll have accumulated 1000ppm salt in 9 months at the current rate I'm adding bleach. I don't backwash because I have a cartridge filter, so it would seem the only way to keep my salt level down would be to drain water.

Am I missing something?
    Good Times

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach adds salt?

No you are not missing anything, but I am uncertain why this small amount of salt would cause you concern. Compared to additives in other forms of chlorine (the CYA in di-or trichlor, or the Calcium in CalHypo), salt is the most benign.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

All forms of chlorine add salt, though my Pool Calculator only lists the salt added for bleach. Bleach does add about twice as much salt as the other forms of chlorine. Several other chemicals you use with a pool also add salt. There isn't any way to have a swimming pool without some salt. Salt levels up to about 1000 are counted as not having salt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In a recent hotly-debated thread it was pretty much decided that in my area (southern AZ) where we never get rain, have no humidity, and very hot days, salt can have a detrimental effect on stone/decking. I have kool-deck (which is porous) and a rock-waterfall that I believe would succumb to these effects. I am aware of the cumulative effects of CYA that Trichlor introduces to the pool.

I find using bleach extremely inconvenient because of the massive amounts of chlorine that needs to be transported/stored/used with the amount of sun I get, but was putting up with it to avoid having to drain my pool to keep the CYA down. (Conserving water is also important in my area.) If I'm having to drain my pool anyway in order to keep the salt level down, I don't see why I can't just use trichlor pucks and avoid having to buy/transport 4-5 gallons of bleach every week.
    Good Times

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry Jason, I started my last response before yours popped in. Very good information.

Thank you.
    Good Times

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Queequeg
    (Conserving water is also important in my area.) If I'm having to drain my pool anyway in order to keep the salt level down, I don't see why I can't just use trichlor pucks and avoid having to buy/transport 4-5 gallons of bleach every week.
    You can but you will be draining and refilling much sooner because the CYA will build up to unmanageable levels way before the salt gets to levels that are considered too high. All forms of chloirne add salt, muriatic acid will increase salt, baking soda will increase salt, ph increaer will increase salt. You cannot avoid salt in your water if you sanitize with chlorine! The 'debate' on the damage that salt causes is still open to interpretation and, IMHO, much of the blame rests with builders who use materials that are not suitable simply for aesthetic reasons.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Waterbear. What are your thoughts on Kool Deck? It's been the standard decking for many many years, but now I hear that salt pools can eat it.
    Good Times

8. Back To Top    #8

I have never heard of problems with Kool Deck. The great majority of the problems, keeping in mind that having any problem is rare, are with soft natural stone used in waterfalls, coping, and at the waterline. Issues with screws that are made of inferior materials also show up more quickly with salt.

But all of that is with salt around 3,000 to 4,000. With salt under 1,000 no one attributes any problems to salt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

That certainly sets my mind at ease a bit. We ended up building our pool ourselves, but when we were getting quotes from pool builders, 3 of them said they wouldn't do Kool deck with a SWG because the salt was bad for it. (You had to do acrylic instead.)

Thanks again for the information!
    Good Times

10. Back To Top    #10

Evan and Jason, excellent answers to this question
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)