Intex 2600 pump - won't backwash, low flow, etc

May 29, 2012
Hi all - last year, when I first got my Intex sand filter pump and hooked it up, it spit water out of the return with great force (way better than the old paper filter pump!) Also, when I backwashed it, water would flow out with great force.

This year, I have been getting the "low flow" alert on my Intex Saltwater chlorinator. I have tried letting air out of the lines, cleaning the underside of the top of the sand filter (i.e. taking off the "handle" part and cleaning underneath), etc. It helps for a few days but then I get low flow again. Matter of fact, when I first turn the pump on, the force of the water coming out of the return is really weak. If I let it run for 30-60 minutes or more, the flow usually improves. But it used to blast water out of the return immediately, last year.

Now, when I try to backwash it......nothing happens. A drop or two comes out, when it used to be like opening a fire hydrant last year when it was new. Also, when I turn the pump off, it seems to "blow" water back into the pool out of the skimmer.

I follow all the directions for backwash, rinse, and filter but it doesn't work (especially backwash as noted before). I called Intex and the best the guy could do was "your motor may be going bad", which is unacceptable to me b/c I just bought the pump last summer. I have been running it a lot, b/c once it gets going I hate to turn it off b/c of the aforementioned low flow issues.

What are your thoughts? Step by step instructions/ ideas would be great......thanks very much!!!

Blowing water back out through the skimmer when you shut the pump off is indicative of a suction side leak, allowing air to fill your filter.

I am not familiar with the Intex sand filters, so I don't know if there is a way to release the air from the filter tank. If there is, let the air out.

Check all your connections between the pump and pool, especially the cap for the prefilter screen.

Thanks for the responses so far. I am wondering about the backwash issue.......could the sand be so compacted that water won't flow through? Do I need to break up the sand somehow?

Even when i let air out of the lines, it still has pretty low flow.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.