Is Our Pool Safe to Swim In??

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
We are waiting for this black cloud that looms over our house to blow in someone else's direction.

PB came this morning to inspect the QuadDE filter and yes, it was installed backwards. The cartridges are also shot to heck too. Haven't heard back but he was going to try to get them FedEx'd tomorrow. So after he hooked the filter back up b/c we need to operate the pump....all the crud in the filter ended up in the pool. Yes, he should have taken the time to clean the inside of the cartridge area regardless if they were shot.

Alot of the crud was the alternative DE called Aquaperl, which thankfully I used or I would have DE in my pool. I turned off the pump and let the robot clean most of it but of course, the particles are so fine, the rest will only get sucked up when the filter is in operating condition.

Is this stuff safe to swim in??? How long will this "stuff" continue to cycle back into my pool? I just truned the pump back on and now there is "alt. DE" on the floor again. Should I open the hood of filter and see if I can scoop it out?

My pH and Cl levels werer good this morning, but I have not tested since the "backfiring" of the filter.

So glad my Margaritaville arrived this week since I will be needing it after this week. (have not even gotten back to my other issues of the SWG, 2-speed pump and the electrician..what a fiasco)

I would not swim only because there is no filtration right now. I would just let the filter get the stuff out of your pool when it's operational. It's either perlite or cellulose, these are the two things used as a DE substitute. Even DE in the water would not be harmful. DE is only a danger if the dry powder is inhaled in large quantities since it can cause silicosis (It is NOT a carcinogen as often reported.)

So waterbear, are you saying that the perlite or cellulose are harmful or just don't go in because of body oils, hair, etc....?

I am going to go lead the robot to the lines of "stuff" now that I have brushed to the center. Unfortunately, I have to get in the pool to lead the robot to the stuff on the bottom.

Thx.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.