Pool Newbie

Aug 1, 2013
We just bought a house with a pool and did a water test and the FC and CYA were low (FC .5 and CYA 30). I added two chlorine tablets, one to each of the empty chlorinators, (I believe they had just run out). I also added one more tablet to one of the skimmer baskets per recommendation from local pool supply store. The sellers were having the pool maintained but I don't know exactly when they stopped servicing it before we closed on the home.

The pool does have some Algae along the steps (green and darker) and some on the tiles and in a crack along the pool sides. My question is: as long as we get the chemical levels to normal ranges, is the pool safe to swim in even if some algae is still present along steps/sides? If so, I plan on shocking the pool after our first swim. If not, I'll just plan on shocking it first and waiting before we swim. Lady at pool supply store said it should be fine within a few hours as long as the levels are normal when the water is retested, but I'd rather get some TFP opinions.

This is an old, in ground gunite that is original to the house (house was built in 1964). Eventually, we plan on fixing the cracks, replastering, adding a second drain, and redoing the tile, coping and decking which are all in need of some TLC, but our kids (7, 5, 2 and 9 months) are anxious to swim it, but I just want to make sure it's safe before doing so.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Shocking is not going to get rid of the algae. You need to get the recommended test kit and SLAM the pool to get rid of the algae. Links to both are in my signature. Also, take the tablet out of the skimmer. When you shut the pump off, the water becomes very acidic and when you turn the pump back on, it gets a shot of acid, which is not good for it. Where did you get the test numbers from? If the pool has constantly been chlorinated with the pucks, I have doubts about the CYA.

Welcome to TFP !

Get yourself one of the recommended test kits. It's a must have. It will make your life alot easier.

Spend sometime in pool school. Read the SLAM process and everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

@JohnN,

Thanks so much for your quick reply (trying to swim tonight if possible). I initially tested with some test strips but then took a water sample to Leslie's. Don't have any test kit or chemicals of my own just yet as we just closed on the house and got the keys yesterday. Here are results from Leslie's test:

Free Available Chlorine: .5
Total Available Chlorine: .5
Calcium Hardness: 250
Cyanuric Acid: 30
pH: 7.8
Phosphates: 0

I will remove the tablet from the skimmer basket per your recommendation and will follow the SLAM process you noted to get rid of the Algae. I'm planning on getting the Taylor K-2006 test kit, but haven't yet.

Given the numbers above and the fact that I added two tablets to the chlorinators about 2 hours ago, do you think it's safe to swim in about an hour and a half, or should I just wait until I've SLAMmed the pool?

Thanks again in advance!

Adam

The thing is. Anything we suggest with out valid test numbers before and after dosing the pool will be pure guessing and speculation unfortunately. We cant stress enough the value of a good test kit. If you need to test immediately i recommend buying a oto ph/cl test while you wait for the big kit to arrive

@FamilyGuy,

Thanks for the info. Just picked up the Leslie-branded version of the Taylor K-2006 test kit just before they closed and will test it again.

Assuming the numbers are within acceptable range, would you say the water is safe to swim in even if algae is still present?

If not, I'll wait until I've completed the SLAM process and retested.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Thanks Jeff and FamilyGuy.

Yes, I can definitely see the bottom of the pool. It looks very clear. Just a bit nervous with the kids and all since we're pool newbies.

Thanks again!

Adam

Ok, here's the update...

Did the test with the Taylor K-2006 test kit and here are the numbers:

FC = 0.8
CC = 0.2
CYA = 30
pH = 7.8

So, it looks like I need to follow SLAM process to get FC up into the 2-4 range.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for the help!

Adam

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is still some algae along some tiles at the water line and in a crack on one wall and a few spots in the corners of the steps. Planning on adding bleach tonight to raise FC. What is the best product to use to lower pH to 7.2-7.5 range?

The water is very clear. You can easily see the bottom everywhere. It doesn't look cloudy at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.