Clear pool/green pool ping pong

whitedog4

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2013
Lansing, MI
More of a commentary than a specific question, although input is always appreciated.

First time BBB user this season and it's been wonderful taking control. Am using a Kokido 6-way kit (a gift) and will purchase a Taylor from this site when needed. What I've experienced is a consistently clear, balanced pool that has gone out of whack quickly after recent heavy rainstorms. The AGP is under a tree (will never do that again but we wanted to shade the kiddos) and the solar blanket only keeps out so much debris. Removing the cover introduces a lot of organic material and a semi-green pool is greener instantly.

Today was the second time it happened, the first was last weekend and I was able to turn around the pool within hours. I didn't keep up on FC as I should've and it dropped along with CYA and PH, all to zero. I backwashed the filter, turned off the solar panel, added stabilzer (I keep some handy in pantyhose pre-soaked a bit), bleach and borax and within hours I had a clear pool with CYA 40-50, FC 5, PH 7.6, TA 100. Perfect!

Then more rain, more debris, green pool. Today I'm repeating my previous method and the pool already looks better. I needed some stabilizer so I availed myself of a free pool test at the store (I do it now for chuckles) and not only are they recommending to lower the TA (they say it's 200, I say it's 110 and I know of no other issues which would make me want to lower arbitrarily) with PH down but they recommend a lithium shock as well (my FC is already 4, they say 0). I noticed their ranges don't match the Pool Calculator, as well. I'm sticking with what's worked.

I guess the takeaway for anyone who reads this is:
Don't put an AGP under a tree if you can avoid it, the BBB method works but you HAVE to keep up with at least FC and PH daily, use the Pool Calculator, keep some stabilizer handy in pantyhose so it's ready to go (I use Proteam UV Shield) and become a TFP Supporter. I did it today! OH, and this site helped me with my DIY solar panel configuration and PVC plumbing/valves and I got my pool in MI up to 86F this summer. I can't wait to get a bigger pool, much to the wife's chagrin. :-D

Yup. Major lesson learned. If I had just added my bleach as needed, I wouldn't have needed more stabilizer. But with what I've learned this year (and from this site) I am not intimidated at all by having a much larger pool someday. I really, really like keeping my own counsel instead of being a minion of the pool store.

I am by no means an expert, but it seems to me that your back and forth issues may stem from never fully recovering from the green pool, as in never completing the SLAM process. Also, how does neglecting to add bleach equate to low (zero) levels of CYA? Sounds like you need to SLAM and follow the process all the way through. Some (even a lot) rain and debris introduced from removing your cover should now turn a healthy pool green. Please correct me is I am wrong.

--Thomas

I believe because I failed to keep the FC in range for my CYA level (by adding bleach), I allowed the pool to be more compromised by the heavy, brown/green water and debris that seeped into the pool than if I had regularly checked/tested the water and kept it resilient. This was further exacerbated by removing the cover and having little choice but to watch the nasty stuff dump in. The CYA degrades if you don't keep the FC up. There's a chart pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock .

I have no idea where Charlie-R's question is coming from. As stated above, I'm using a Kokido 6-way kit that's worked great so far.

The pool is crystal clear and testing perfectly tonight. It looks, feels and smells great.

Again, I am not an expert, but I have not heard of loosing significant levels of CYA after neglecting the pool/heavy rain. If that was the case, many people would not be battling high CYA levels/green pools. The whole BBB method preaches being proactive, and if the levels are kept in check, algae blooms/green pools would never happen.

What is your daily FC loss and overnight FC loss? Daily bleach demand?

--Thomas

I am also wondering about the degrading CYA. The general consensus of this site seems to be that CYA does not degrade, except in certain circumstances*, and can only be lowered by water replacement.

*every year I let my pool go to swamp in the off season and am always at 0 CYA upon opening, so I do know that it can go away without water replacement.

Boy, if that happened to chem-geek.... it could happen to anyone!

I am just coming back from the SLAM process myself- last nite my FC held at 20.5 after 8 jugs (137 oz of 8.25% chlorine)

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.