New Pool numbers wayyy off

Jul 11, 2013
Louisiana
Ok i am new here and new to owning a pool which came with the house I purchased. Bought the TF-100 kit and went to testing. First test was chlorine. Added one scoop to 10ml and water didn't even turn pink. So I guess I have no chlorine in the pool. Next tested TA. After adding R-0007 mixing, then add 5 drops of R-0008 the water turned pink instead of green. What does this mean? Finally I tested CYA and it came out around 100. I justed moved in and previous owner used only chlorine tabs and also took water sample to pool store once in a while to have them tell him what was needed. Am I right in assuming i am going to have to do a partial drain and fill to get this back on track? Numbers seem way off to me but I am a newb.

FC -0
CC -0
pH -0
TA -0
CH -didn't test
CYA - 100

Welcome to TFP.

You list zero for pH. That can't be right, but since you have almost zero TA it will be too low to test. I would work on getting the TA and pH up before doing anything else. However if you can quickly drain anf refill half of the pool water that would be acceptable as it would ten take less soda ash to adjust the pH & TA. The issue is that you don't want to leave the pH that low any longer than absolutely necessary, and you don't know how long it's been that way.

You should do the CYA test again, this time with half pool water and half tap water and double the result to get a better idea of where your CYA really is. The test tends to report anything over 100 as 100, so it could actually be higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.