Pool Heater Cost Question

Shaf77

Jun 10, 2010
Toronto, ON. Canada
How much does it cost to run a pool heater? Any calculators out there?

Want to know what it costs for me to heat up the pool say by 10 degrees...

We have a 266,000 BTU heater.

Cost for NG in Toronto is:

gas%20rates.jpg

I have no idea how our rates compare to yours - it costs me $100 per month to heat my pool in the winter. My guess is I am not heating it quite 10 degrees (we live in Houston) - maybe 7-8. I have a 30,000 gal pool. Hope that helps.

Are you talking about a single time heating it up or maintaining the pool at 10 degrees higher than normal? The first is easy and there are several calculators to do that including one in my signature (Pump and Pool Spreadsheets). The second is a bit more difficult because it depends on how much heat is lost overnight and if you plan on using a pool cover. I have some approximations for this in the spreadsheets but they are only approximations.

But for a single 10 degree rise, 80% efficiency, that would be about 1.44 M BTU and cost close to $8.

You buy an oversized cover and cut it out to the shape of your pool. It is best to unroll it and let it stay out in the sun for a couple of days before you cut it as it will expand some. Cut it out with bubble side down and it easily will cut with scissors.

You want the cover on at night as this will keep the water from evaporating. Evaporation is what lowers the pool water temperature. If it is windy, having the cover on will help also.

I have a free form shape and here is what I did for the cover and roller. Note the roller is attached to the cover.

DIY Solar Roller

With the cover I usually don't need any solar run time and currently, our average 24 hr air temperature is 73 degrees and the pool reaches 86-88 by the end of the day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Normally it is cut to fit because if goes over the coping, the wind can blow it around easier. Plus it looks nicer. Your PB is probably just being lazy.

Looks like I'll have to do it my self.. We have the poles and roller as well.

Are there any tutorials on where best to place the roller based on my pool pic above and how I should set it up? Should the blanket be hooked to the roller in the middle or at the end?

Need help please...

Are you talking about a single time heating it up or maintaining the pool at 10 degrees higher than normal? The first is easy and there are several calculators to do that including one in my signature (Pump and Pool Spreadsheets). The second is a bit more difficult because it depends on how much heat is lost overnight and if you plan on using a pool cover. I have some approximations for this in the spreadsheets but they are only approximations.

But for a single 10 degree rise, 80% efficiency, that would be about 1.44 M BTU and cost close to $8.

Is there an updated link for the calculator? Thanks!

In April I had a 266k gas heater installed for my 17,500 gallon pool. Water was at 60. Raised it to 84 the first day and I keep the solar cover on most of the day and all night. I run the pump/heater about six hours a day. My first bill for 28 days was $176. At 90 cents per therm. Weather temps in Boise were similar to what you describe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.