NEW STEREO RECEIVER GETTING TOO HOT AND SHUT DOWN, NEED HELP

Mar 10, 2013
Guys,,
Please correct my problem..

Equipment-
2 outdoor speakers under porch (8 ohm)
2 rock speakers at pool Outdoor speaker Depot (8 ohm)
2 independent volume controllers from Outdoor Speaker Depot
Both have long runs- 100' feet. Used 14 gauge buried in conduit
Pioneer VSX-523-K Receiver (FRONT STEREO 80W + 80W) power output 140W per channel (5 channel)

I currently have the pool speakers wired to the front posts and the porch speakers wired to the surround posts. The volume controllers are between the speakers and receiver. Each speaker is wired to the respectable positive and neg terminal corresponding to the side they are on.

Problem is the amp gets hot too the point of shutting down... in under 5 mins.. I tried using a speaker selector wired from the "front" posts and connecting the speakers off that but that didn't help...

Let me know any hints or ideas...

Re: NEW STEREO RECEIVER GETTING TOO HOT AND SHUT DOWN, NEED

What is the impedence at the receiver on each channel?
What is the impedence of the volume controls?

Has it ever worked or is it a new installation?

Receiver says continues avg output of 80 Watts per channel , min at 8 ohms
Volume Controls are 100 watts peak, 8 ohms stereo

I have tried using the set up on a zone 2 setting on my home receiver (7.1) and it also got hot but I thought it was because It was on zone two setting...
I guess that wasn't the case.. Any help would be appreciated..

Putting the speakers in parallel and dropping the impedance to 4 0hms in increasing the loading on the receiver. Therefore more heat.

I think we need to know more about where the receiver is located? Is it inside, outside, in an enclosed space or a well ventilated space? If its in a box outdoors with no airflow, I think you're going to have problems even if you use the proper load of 8 ohms.

Try putting the speakers in series. They won't get as loud but the heating of the receiver should be less.

If the receiver is rated for 8 ohms and it's actually loaded at 4 ohms there's no wonder it's getting hot. It's not designed to self limit when it see's a lower impedence than it's designed for. It actually puts out more power than it's designed for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The impedance is going to drop even further with long speaker runs. How long are they? There are charts available that show the impedence drop per foot of cable at various gauges. You really need an amplifier than can handle very low impedence loads without going into protection such as Harman Kardon or Sherwood. Good luck.

Impedance increases with longer speaker wire runs. Voltage drops. So long wires aren't the source of overheating, but they will require you to up the gain/volume to get the same sound output compared to short speaker wires.

Based on the description of how you are hooked up, it doesn't sound like an impedance issue. You should have separate amps for the front and surround connections.

I would check the wiring at all your connections to make sure you don't have contact between your positive and negative wires that could be trying to create a short. I would think your length of wire is creating enough impedance that you don't get an instant short but would drop the effective impedance on the amp to cause your overheating.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

CAVJOCK22 said:
... I currently have the pool speakers wired to the front posts and the porch speakers wired to the surround posts. The volume controllers are between the speakers and receiver....

The way I read this is that each speaker has a dedicated amplifier output. The fact that it over heated with your 7.1 home receiver makes me think the amp is not the issue.

I'd start looking for a miswire or a bad volume control. I'd disconnect all the speakers at the volume controls and see if the amp still overheats. If not, I'd hook up each speaker one at a time, making sure that only the speaker that I thought I was hooking up was the one that was on. If the amp does over heat with only the volume controls hooked up, I'd carefully check the wiring to them and if good, unhook one volume control, then the other and see if the overheating continues. If it did, I'd eliminate the volume controls, hooking the amp directly to the speaker and see what happens.
Happy hunting,
Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.