OCLT and testing consistency

dspille

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2013
Central Texas
I have been lurking for a while now, and I have been on BBB for a couple of months now. This site is an awesome resource, and the people are great! Thanks so much!

After getting a lot of rain the past few weeks, I became concerned after seeing what appeared to be the beginnings of algae growth, in spite of never allowing FC to drop below 5. It looked like grey dust on the bottom that would disappear when brushing. It also felt neither slimy or gritty, so I decided to go ahead and SLAM and have done so for the last four days. After the first day of SLAMing, no more sign of "algae", and I have continued to maintain shock level until last night. Filter has been running 24 hours/day. The pool has been looking crystal clear through the entire SLAM process and continues to look great.

My test results this morning:
FC 16
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 100
CH 280
CYA 50-60 (I'm assuming 60)
Borates 40-50

Also, I lowered PH to 7.2 before starting the SLAM process

Now for my real question. Last night my FC was 14 (CC 0), and I did not add any chlorine to the pool, yet it read 16 this morning. Any ideas why FC would read 2 ppm higher? I have tried to be careful with my testing, always taking the sample about a foot deep in front of the skimmer. I am also trying to be careful with the drops to make sure I don't go too fast or too slow (no more than about 1 or 2 per second). One other important fact is that I installed a HASA Liquidator a couple of weeks ago, but I have had it shut off during this entire SLAM process (the flow indicator is at zero and I see no water movement in the 3/8" tubes).

Thanks,

Dennis

It's most likely some sort of testing error. Either you didn't wait quite long enough after the last chlorine addition last night or you stopped a drop or two short last night and ran a drop or two over this morning. The lighting was different, etc..

I'd run it again tonight and see what happens.

duraleigh said:
dspille,

Make sure you are taking the test to it's completion....adding one last drop that does not make ANY further color change and then subtracting that drop.

Dave,

Does adding that one last drop impact the combined chlorine test in any way? i.e. will that extra drop prevent the test from turning pink and throw off your CC drop count?

Dennis

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.