First Fill........

Jun 17, 2011
Central Iowa
Hi everyone! I'm so glad I found this site....granted after I pre-purchased 40lb of non-refundable chlorine pellets....but hopefully craigslist comes thru as I plan to start off with BBB.

I ordered a TF-100 today and have the HTH 6-way test to get me by till the TF100 arrives. I took my virgin pool water to local pool store for curiositys sake and tested with my HTH tonight. Here is what they told me. My water is currently clear with a few bugs/dirt from the 3 day fill time.

Pool Store
FC .27
TC 2.03
CC 1.76
PH 8.5
TA 43
CH 199
CYA 5

HTH
TC 1-2 (assuming it's all CC and no FC)
PH 8.2+ (off the charts)
TA 50
CH150 (may be higher, I added drops till turned violet)
CYA should be 0 as city water fill

My question is what chemical to start with? I know how to plug the numbers into the pool calculator, set my goals, % bleach and so forth. I have purchased 8.25% bleach, Borax, baking soda, I have powdered CYA from "pool store" welcome pack. What do I add first the CYA or bleach or both at same time? Do I address the TA/PH issue now or wait till I get the CL level up?

Thanks all! The water is just a little over the bottom of skimmer so I'll have to wait a bit more to turn on the pump/filter FINALLY!!

Go ahead and dose the pool with muriatic acid to lower that PH. You can follow that right up with getting some FC in there up to what ever level you decide to raise your CYA to. We'd recommend 30 or so to start. See the chlorine/cya chart in pool school. Worry about your TA last but take it into the 80-100 range and see how your PH likes it.

I would Adjust PH down some. The stabilizer will also lower it a little. Get some chlorine in and use the FC level to what ever CYA level your going for. Put the stabilizer in a sock in front of the return. Run pump 24/7. It'll take CYA to fully register a couple of days to a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

pH first. Go easy, aim maybe for 7.5, in case the pool isn't as big as you think. While that is mixing, measure out the CYA and tie it up in a sock and figure out how to suspend it in front of the return, or tie it so it dangles off a floating pool toy. By the time you're done with that, the acid should have mixed properly. recheck it, and if it's in range, dump in bleach to get to about 3. Then go get the kids changed and by the time that's done, they can get in and finish mixing everything. It will likely be too cold for you.

Tomorrow, recheck pH and if it's okay, raise TA with baking soda. Then add your bleach. Give the CYA a couple days after its dissolved completely to recheck it.

Water just not high enough yet to flow enough freely into skimmer to run smoothly. Will have to wait till later tonight after a few more hours filling after work to add the chem.....I'm thinking I should pick up more bleach though..... My 3 gallon from Sam's will go quick with such a low CYA and with no chem's for 4 days.

maieranne said:
Water just not high enough yet to flow enough freely into skimmer to run smoothly. Will have to wait till later tonight after a few more hours filling after work to add the chem.....I'm thinking I should pick up more bleach though..... My 3 gallon from Sam's will go quick with such a low CYA and with no chem's for 4 days.
Is there any powdered chlorine in that "pool store welcome pack"? I can understand not wanting to break the seal on the pail of granules, but if you have dichlor or trichlor or Cal-hypo laying around, you can use that. Just take any added CYA into account when measuring out the CYA granules so you don't overdose it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still filling....though not now as we're at work. Dang work gets in the way! Hmmm not sure if there would be enough flow or not. I'll give it a try once we get home. May seem like silly question but how will I know if it's not enough flow? Will the basket go dry from too much pull and not enough h2o?

maieranne said:
Still filling....though not now as we're at work. Dang work gets in the way! Hmmm not sure if there would be enough flow or not. I'll give it a try once we get home. May seem like silly question but how will I know if it's not enough flow? Will the basket go dry from too much pull and not enough h2o?
Yes. You'll see the water level drop and hear slurping. Then the pump will start cavitating - it's a weird sound, once you hear it, you'll know something ain't right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.