Moving, and thinking of taking my pool

I was wondering if I can gets some advice on moving an above ground pool. We are moving and I would like to take the pool. I was wondering if it is wise to dismantle it myself, or hire professionals? I know I will need to hire someone to reinstall it. If I move before the winter season, as fall is approaching, can I store it in the garage over the winter? Also, I will most likely need to get a new liner, even tho the one I have now is fine. If I do move it, anyone have an idea on what to expect on a cost? The installation when buying a pool normally is "free" or added in the cost. So I have no idea what to expect. Or where to even start on finding someone for the job.

Or if anyone here in the Chicagoland area could recommend someone? (its worth a shot)
Thanks in advance,
Mary

We have had it 6 years. And it looks like new. Still have the plastic covering over the stainless steel panel, lol.
TBH, I hope when I have it moved, I cant get the liner w/o wrinkles, and little divots on the bottom. Thanks to the BBB method I started season 3, I can see all the imperfections in the bottom of the pool. :hammer:

IMO, you should probably be able to disassemble the pool yourself, just be sure to keep up with everything. You will definitely need a new liner. I think the cost of reinstallation will depend on the amount of time and labor it takes to get the ground leveled and ready. When we bought our pool the installation was not included in the price. We did most of our own ground work with the tractor before the installers came out. They used a skid steer for about 3 minutes, threw down some sand and completed the install for $750.00. I'm in Alabama instead of Illinois, but maybe that will give you some idea of the cost. Call some local pool companies and ask for quotes and installer recommendations.

I bought my pool from the LPS and it was the "demo" pool. I went to the store, took it apart, put it into my pickep, drove home and set it up. I have since changed the liner that was chemically damaged.

The process of taking a pool apart is surprisingly simple. It is a collection of screws, plastic and metal pieces and a large metal wall. If you were to carefully take the pool apart systematically in the opposite order of the installation instructions, bagging each type of screw in a separate labeled ziploc bag, you will find it takes only a couple hours to take it apart. If you carefully emptied, dried and bagged the liner, it may even survive the move. There are lots of little pieces but overall its a quite simple process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.