What kind of skimmer gasket do I have?

Jun 24, 2013
New Jersey
I wish I could post pictures, but my pool is full and the leak isn't low enough for me to detach the skimmer to take pics. But when I had the pool apart and saw the gasket it looked like this:

It was a one piece gasket with a soft rubber part on the outside of the pool and an identical rubber piece on the inside of the pool. There were tons of screw holes in it, obviously to hold on the skimmer.

When I installed the new liner I simply held the skimmer up to the opening on the outside of the pool, put the faceplate right on top of the new liner on the inside of the pool, felt around for the holes, and put in the screws. Then I cut out the liner in the middle.

It is now leaking and I am going to let the water drain and take it off. I just want to know how you all think I should proceed.

New gasket? If so, what kind?
New faceplate? There is one crack in it.
How should I install it?
Faceplate, liner, gasket, wall, gasket, skimmer?
Faceplate, gasket, liner, wall, gasket, skimmer?
Other suggestions?

Hoping this will be the end of the saga this year. Not happy to have my pool blow out, repair the hole, put in a new liner, only to have the skimmer leak.

Thanks all for the help.

There are two types of skimmer gaskets. The butterfly gasket that envelopes the inside and outside at the same time and the two piece gasket which is what you described. The choice is yours, but it has to have one or the other.

Thanks for the feedback Bama. Just to clarify, mine isn't two pieces, it is one. And it is on the outside and the inside. Sounds like maybe I have the butterfly?

If so, what order should the liner be? Faceplate, liner, gasket, wall, gasket, skimmer?

Actually, it's very easy to do, install the faceplate and skimmer without the gasket, cut around the inside of the faceplate, then remove faceplate and skimmer, install gasket and reinstall faceplate and skimmer. (all this should be done when there is at least 2 feet of water in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.