What are the holes for above my returns?

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
My pool has two returns at the end of the pool and two returns at the steps, one on either side. Above the returns at the steps, above water line, are smaller 1/2" openings. They gurgle and if I put my hand over a return, water and crud shoots out the smaller opening above it. Are they some kind of air vent?

The ones on the steps are called spa jets. The 2 top 1/2" openings should have an adjuster that lets in more or less air. Usually there is a valve back at the pump that allows you to direct full force to these 2 jets, for what it's worth.

Ah ha! No adjusters- maybe they're missing? Wonder if I can get new ones? When I put the valve on full steps- they start bubbling like crazy. Guess that's my spa... Currently the valve is set between the main returns and the steps. Should it stay that way, or should I be using the two main returns at the end of the pool exclusively?

I have some of those as well. They are just cut PVC pipe, so no way to screw in any adjuster.

Personally I hate the design because the air gurgling is so loud that I never want to sit in front of them.

Mine are slightly different. Instead of just cut PVC they are threaded and an air adjuster screws in. They are a gimmick at best. I always run with the air adjusters closed so it's just like having 2 normal returns at the steps. You might want to try closing the air inlets off somehow and see if the gurgling is any better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.